Thread: Can't Speed Up My ALPS Touchpad, Help?

Can't Speed Up My ALPS Touchpad, Help?

The one and ONLY thing that has kept me from adopting Ubuntu is its inability to allow me to have a faster touchpad. I am using a Dell Inspiron 1525 With an Alps touchpad. I go into the mouse settings, I can change the acceleration of my cursor but that is not what I want. I want to be able to change the actual speed. I originally tried the gsynaptics but I am assuming that only works with synaptic touchpads. I have been searching the forums and google periodically for many months now trying to find a way to get the speed fixed. Nothing has come up. Does anyone know of any way to get this fixed? I would really appreciate it. I am praying my next laptop will be one with a synaptics touchpad so I can avoid this problem, but until then, I really need a usable touchpad. (plus my travel mouse died so using a mouse is not an option.) Thanks in advance.

Maybe I am just confused, but does the synaptics touchpad options in xorg also apply to my alps touchpad? From what I have read it appears to me that you need a synaptics touchpad for this to occur. I am disappointed at the lack of community response. I would really appreciate it if someone would shine some light on this for me. I am heading back up to college soon and will be asking the senior LUG (linux user groups members) If I am able to find a solution to this problem from them I will post what I find here to help out anyone else who has this question.
    Last edited by keljaden; August 22nd, 2009 at 07:27 PM.