Thread: Dell Inspiron 15

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Dell Inspiron 15

I'm about to buy a Dell Inspiron 15, I wonder about the compatibility of the laptop. anybody knows if it works well with Ubuntu?

The MSI i had bought has been a nightmare ever since I used ubuntu.

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Dell Inspiron 15

it depends on the configuration you will choose.. i had some wireless issues on my inspiron 1525.. and graphics wise, almost everyone has issues with intel i9xx drivers
    other than that, (k)ubuntu runs fine..

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by rudedcam View Post
    I'm about to buy a Dell Inspiron 15, I wonder about the compatibility of the laptop. anybody knows if it works well with Ubuntu?

The MSI i had bought has been a nightmare ever since I used ubuntu.

thanks

It (the 15n/ 1545) seems to work well as an internet and email machine. Some people complain about the sound volume (low). Some people complain that OpenOffice mangles their files when they attempt to use their files cross-platform with windows. If you MUST use any windows applications, well you can forget about that I would say. For instance, If I owned a MAC I wouldn't install windows to run in a virtual window. Similarly, I wouldn't suggest running cross-platform in Linux. A dual boot system is a better option in my opinion.

One major Caution: If you have any thoughts of creating a dual boot system and installing any version of Windows XP you might be better to buy the laptop with XP and add ubuntu (Linux) later. If you are a novice, you may not even be able to get XP to go in at all. And Dell Support charges a hefty price to assist with the install.

I'm not a "gamer" and I didn't plan to use the 15n for any major productivity applications. I think it's fantastic as a general purpose machine. I have used Ubuntu on other brand desktops. I was quite impressed with how easily it recognized and configured printers and various hardware. The human portion of setting up a USB printer took as long as it takes to to plug in the USB cable. Ubuntu did the rest ! I never was able to get the printer to go in any other versin of Linux. I was very impressed with Ubuntu in that respect.

I hope this helps, OooBuntuRox
    Update: This Post has slowed down but you might find the comments posted of interest:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1161744
    Last edited by OooBuntuRox; August 20th, 2009 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

thanks guys, btw, i got my DELL inspiron and ubuntu 9.04 runs like a charm. 9.10 wasn't working for me very well and now in the following weeks i will upgrade to 11.4