Thread: System76 Media Center / TVPC?

Beans

System76 Media Center / TVPC?

I know i come here and keep asking for more and more, but i love you guys, i promise! I just express my love by making tons of suggestions =] First was Coreboot, then AMD/ATI options, and then a Tablet, but now how about a media center TVPC deal like the Neuros Link?

I think the idea has a lot of potential. It's not that your current lineup can't be used just the same way, but making a machine for just this purpose would be great. I'm always telling people to kill their cable subscriptions (they're pure evil), and if they're already paying for internet, why shouldn't they?

Imagine this: you create a slick looking box with all the necessary inputs and outputs for a home media center, and just the hardware that it would need for such (HDMI, etc), which all-in-all is pretty damn cheap. You don't even need a hard drive if the focus is on streaming media. Throw in a wireless keyboard/mouse and remote control, higher hardware options for gamers, a HDD option, and some special software (Moovida media center, Miro video player, and maybe enable special compiz effects for kicks), and you're all set! It's all marketing from there-- and i think a LOT of people would be interested.

Get back to me =P

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: System76 Media Center / TVPC?

seeing specialized boxes like this would defiantly be compelling to recommend to people i know whom are ready to kick cable. There are a few stumbling blocks to this however.

One being that a good portion of this potential demographic still only have 480i sets to hook up to and some who do have HDTV's are missing HDMI or VGA.
    (wondering if meerkat via s-video, is good for 480i sets?)

Another being that HDMI support in ubuntu often times has overscan issues or lacks audio over HDMI.

third being that it seems that s76 has steered clear from adding or modifying extra software, aside from providing needed drivers.
    Laptops: S76 Panp5, HP tc4400
    Other: numerous old desktops/laptops running ubuntu or puppy linux

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by miniyak View Post
    seeing specialized boxes like this would defiantly be compelling to recommend to people i know whom are ready to kick cable. There are a few stumbling blocks to this however.

One being that a good portion of this potential demographic still only have 480i sets to hook up to and some who do have HDTV's are missing HDMI or VGA.
    (wondering if meerkat via s-video, is good for 480i sets?)
    I didn't say HDMI would be the only option-- but even if it was, i still think there's a huge potential customer base there to tapped

Another being that HDMI support in ubuntu often times has overscan issues or lacks audio over HDMI.
    Well Neuros uses Ubuntu and it's seemed to work it out. I'm sure System76 wouldn't have a problem creating a hardware setup that worked like they always do =]

third being that it seems that s76 has steered clear from adding or modifying extra software, aside from providing needed drivers.
    Wouldn't it be worth it in this case? It should be added that the Neuros Link sold out very quickly and it now on backorder because they had so much more interest than they expected. System76 has added or modified hardware driver's haven't they? Consider this just another software adaptation to fir the hardware

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

i really had yet looked at the neuros link before but i just took a peek at it on their site and it looks pretty tight. Last time i saw something from them it was a steaming service i think. The link uses a flash drive to store the OS. Something to check out more when i get the time.

Wasn't saying they shouldn't look in to it. Actually, kind of wondering if they all ready are or have.
    Laptops: S76 Panp5, HP tc4400
    Other: numerous old desktops/laptops running ubuntu or puppy linux

Beans

i really had yet looked at the neuros link before but i just took a peek at it on their site and it looks pretty tight. Last time i saw something from them it was a steaming service i think. The link uses a flash drive to store the OS. Something to check out more when i get the time.

Wasn't saying they shouldn't look in to it. Actually, kind of wondering if they all ready are or have.
    This was actually my first time taking a serious look at the Neuros link as well. As I said it sold out so fast it's now on backorder (and not taking new orders right now which is actually why I thought having something from sys76 would be so awesome) and I hear the next batch will have updated hardware!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

would love to see one with a dual-tuner tv card. would make a great mythtv/mythbuntu box!

Beans

This would also be a great product to market to stores and hotels and such who want to provide customers with lots of content. They can cancel their cable subscription and just keep internet. It's the same benefits as using it as a HTPC (Home Theater PC) has, but on a larger scale!