Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad news. id software really is abandoning Linux.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Bad news. id software really is abandoning Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_IronFist View Post
    Am I the only one who doesn't care? Other than the Quake and Doom games, I feel like Id hasn't really done anything particularly impressive in a while.

While they used to be a bigger supporter of Linux, I don't really mind that they're not going to do ports anymore - there are more important developers to worry about.

Also, my take on graphics card drivers - the Intel Chipset is never going to be suitable for mainstream gaming, period. It's made as a cheap alternative to using a more powerful, more expensive card. It's only there to "get the job done", and it does.
    The X4500/HD is comparable to a nVIDIA 8400. So it isn't that bad.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by naikon89 View Post
    True, but it would be at least nice to get an unofficially supported binary only
    with nvidia drivers. His stance seems to be based on politics nowadays.

Besides. isn't TTimo employed at id solely to handle Linux and some Mac ports?
    What about the Zerowing server? Sorry, I am a little pissed about this.
    I guess that as such a big company you either fully support something or you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ELD View Post
    I will just pour more support into Linux Game Publishing with the newly released Shadowgrounds Survivor heh. Already have Sacred Gold from them and it works a treat
    Are they providing ports or just selling games or what are they doing? It's not really clear from the page.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_IronFist View Post
    Am I the only one who doesn't care? Other than the Quake and Doom games, I feel like Id hasn't really done anything particularly impressive in a while.

While they used to be a bigger supporter of Linux, I don't really mind that they're not going to do ports anymore - there are more important developers to worry about.
    What other big developers have provided linux clients for most of their games?

cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The squirrels are mad about this... I think this could be what spawned the invasion.

Beans

I hate to say it, but I am giving up on Linux gaming.
    Hm.....

Desktop 1: Asus A8N-E | AMD Athlon +3200 | 2 GB Ram | Geforce 8500 | Windows XP
    Desktop 2: Soyo-KT600 | AMD Athlon +2600 | 768 MB Ram | Geforce 5200 | Ubuntu 10.04
    Netbook: Asus 1001P, Arch Linux

Beans

first epic games, now id... and this while our user numbers has grown.

Something's fishy here.

Beans

EA is publishing Rage and that means you better forget about support completely. Same goes for most other games EA is involved in.

From Wikipedia:

"Fail" redirects here. For Epic Fail, see EA Sports. For other uses, see Fail (disambiguation).

Electronic Arts (EA) (NASDAQ: ERTS) is a company that is based around fail and spreading it like cancer.
    I'm not even sure if it's wikipedia vandalism, because it's so close to the truth.

Beans

I hope that with the new kms,ttm,gem,gallium3d and the radeonhd drier, the porting of 3d engines to linux will be much more generalized/easier. Also even on windows the 3d engines can only perform well on nvidia and amd 3d hw.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Aspect View Post
    Hm.....

Notice the usage of WINE here.
    I really wish this game will be ported, but at the moment I am not expecting it.
    If they will I will form a clan in this game and play like a cod with a barbed wire up it's rear.

Beans

Hundreds of thousands? He is taking the **** here!
    Mac OSX won't even make 10 thousand at any decent rate.

Sick of being treated like a second class citizen when it comes
    to gaming. Nethack is the only game I really enjoy beside id games on Linux.

Now with id not even on the bandwagon for Linux ports and
    future source code releases, things are looking quite dim.

Man, what an egotastic prick he has turned into.
    Is it really a gigantic effort to port it if a Mac build already exists?

Time for me to buy a playstation I think
    Hate to say it, but I agree with your attitude toward this. Every time I try to convince people to use Linux, they state that the lack of games keeps them in windows (and sadly, myself as well. I have a "windows console" for playing games and only games.) Wine just doesn't cut it most of the time.

Carmack has always been pretty egotistical if you ask me. The success of his games has only made it worse. The part that saddens me is that he's turned more publisher than developer. He lost that "develop to prove it can be done" attitude and gained the "bottom line matters most" attitude.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by darthmob View Post
    Are they providing ports or just selling games or what are they doing? It's not really clear from the page.
    LGP ports and sells games. They are worth putting your money into since they will massively help linux gaming as time goes on.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast