Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad news. id software really is abandoning Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Bad news. id software really is abandoning Linux.

I agree this is bed news but I will not be giving up on gaming on my linux machine.

Time to play some quake live on ubuntu when I get a chance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I still believe we will get Rage eventually. At least we got a warning to not preorder or to buy the game at release.

I have alot of respect for John Carmack, not because of the great games he has created, but because he gets to play with big rockets.

Back to Quake Live.
    -AKA SlickMcRunfast
    LXGC Game Night every Sunday. | AZLOCO

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Carmack still a great guy (even takes the time to respond properly) and of course it already had been said that the new owners/publishers have a lot of influence on many of their decisions this time.

If there are hundreds of thousands of linux users playing Quake Live when we are done with Rage, that would certainly influence our decision...
    time to play quake live if we want to see future ports of ID games (at least register and play casually, since that seems to be the intention)

Quake live being web-based/multiplatform is revolutionary and indirectly advertises linux (kinda similar to what google wants the cloud to be). So I thank Carmack for being one of the first to venture in this field and help the cloud

oh and am using an integrated x1250 Ati with the still "inmatured" open drivers and is not too bad, for playing it on the browser is nicely optimized.

i don't know if we will reach "hundreds of thousands", but we won't go un-noticed (probably even surpassing Mac users) and with some united and vibrant groups/clans
    Last edited by madjr; August 20th, 2009 at 10:00 AM.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by naikon89 View Post
    Shame, because I was going to personally buy
    every single upcoming Windows copy with Linux support.
    Yep that was my policy as well. No matter how bad the game is someone supporting a niche OS will get my support as well.

We will see if they only stick with Mac. I hope they don't.

Beans

I hate to say it, but I am giving up on Linux gaming.

Hundreds of thousands? He is taking the **** here!
    Mac OSX won't even make 10 thousand at any decent rate.

Sick of being treated like a second class citizen when it comes
    to gaming. Nethack is the only game I really enjoy beside id games on Linux.

Now with id not even on the bandwagon for Linux ports and
    future source code releases, things are looking quite dim.

Time for me to buy a playstation I think
    Last edited by naikon89; August 23rd, 2009 at 11:09 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by naikon89 View Post
    Man, what an egotastic prick he has turned into.
    Is it really a gigantic effort to port it if a Mac build already exists
    I think that John Carmack has always been a honest person. If he says that providing the linux ports for non nvidia hardware on linux is a lot of effort then it is. I can imagine that development for mac is similar to consoles as you only have a certain range of hardware they get sold with.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by darthmob View Post
    I think that John Carmack has always been a honest person. If he says that providing the linux ports for non nvidia hardware on linux is a lot of effort then it is. I can imagine that development for mac is similar to consoles as you only have a certain range of hardware they get sold with.
    True, but it would be at least nice to get an unofficially supported binary only
    with nvidia drivers. His stance seems to be based on politics nowadays.

Besides. isn't TTimo employed at id solely to handle Linux and some Mac ports?
    What about the Zerowing server? Sorry, I am a little pissed about this.

Beans

I was never expecting the port so i am not sad about it.

I will just pour more support into Linux Game Publishing with the newly released Shadowgrounds Survivor heh. Already have Sacred Gold from them and it works a treat

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

That says it all. Until ATi and Intel can produce drivers that don't suck like a toothless hooker, game devs aren't going to bother.

Beans
    Hidden!

Am I the only one who doesn't care? Other than the Quake and Doom games, I feel like Id hasn't really done anything particularly impressive in a while.

While they used to be a bigger supporter of Linux, I don't really mind that they're not going to do ports anymore - there are more important developers to worry about.

Also, my take on graphics card drivers - the Intel Chipset is never going to be suitable for mainstream gaming, period. It's made as a cheap alternative to using a more powerful, more expensive card. It's only there to "get the job done", and it does.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast