Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Bad news. id software really is abandoning Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Bad news. id software really is abandoning Linux.

Another proof wich shows there is a market for games on GNU/Linux and Mac OS X:
    Indie Game Studio Amazed At Linux Sales
    homepage: efikkan.com
    Graphics programmer

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by joeelmex View Post
    WOOOHOO Check this out

"As far as idTech 5 (the Rage engine), it runs on PS3 and Mac already. Setting up idTech 5 to run on those platforms early on in our cycle was a direct result of carrying Linux/Mac support in idTech 4 beforehand. It is likely i will be involved with idTech 5 in the near future, I'll be damned if we don't find the time to get Linux builds done."

Article here;
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NzUzNg
    That really is fantastic news. Thanks for posting that up. It's really cheered me up after a rotten day!

Quote Originally Posted by efikkan View Post
    Another proof wich shows there is a market for games on GNU/Linux and Mac OS X:
    Indie Game Studio Amazed At Linux Sales
    I absolutely love the indie scene on Linux, and have already bought World of Goo and the Penumbra games. More please (reasonably priced)!
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you are restricted to it only working on the
    closed source drivers, you might as well boot into windows and get the
    fully tested and tuned experience...
    seems a bit strange to say that since I would rather play the game inside linux using the closed source drivers and not have to deal with windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm loving the atmosphere of this thread, as opposed to how it was a week ago... so much optimism.
    By the people, for the people.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Going back on the RAGE comment and LINUX users that actually use QL... at the time the wikipedia article was written, they said approximately 5% of all users run QL on linux.

So my question to you guys, for those of you guys who AREN'T playing Quake Live... why aren't you helping bring up the percentage? Do it to it!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by kemorc View Post
    Going back on the RAGE comment and LINUX users that actually use QL... at the time the wikipedia article was written, they said approximately 5% of all users run QL on linux.

So my question to you guys, for those of you guys who AREN'T playing Quake Live... why aren't you helping bring up the percentage? Do it to it!
    Spot on. For those who complain about the lack of "good games" for Linux, it's the only thing to do. Preserve the few companies that have been making games for this platform. Even I, despite not being as big of a gamer as I was a couple of years ago, have been playing once in a while.
    "There's no such thing as illegal immigrants, only illegal Governments..."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I'm sure there are plenty others getting sick of hearing the same old garbage pouring out of the typical MS fanboy about gaming on linux...

I hate to say it, but we are our own enemies here if we ignore this oportunity! Get that user percentage up 10-15% and make id proud. At this point and time, that is quite a spike. there are... what, roughly 900,000 users? So, about 45,000 of us play QL on linux rather than that resource hog MS coded...

Last I read... MS wants to focus killing off the PC gamer as it is, they want people on the 360 PAYING to play online. What do you have to lose besides endless hours to quake live??? Win win situation!
    Last edited by kemorc; October 31st, 2009 at 08:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by kemorc View Post

I've been tired of quake for years.

Beans

When I first took a look at quake live. I dismissed it because I read it needed activex looking now I see the homepage says Linux. I imagine ETQW is far better though, but I may check it out depending on how it works. I certainly don't think that's any way to measure demand. ETQW is still going strong, I doubt you can say that about many other games. Windows sucks, one of the only things I use it for is games and it takes me ages to update everything before playing a game, every so often. And what a surprise nvidia (config as normal user) and some games don't work properly without admin rights. Funnily enough physx and nview just failed to install. Comodo system cleaner was crashing the system yesterday. This is on a fast clean windows install that's hardly used and only for games!!! Consoles being slow dvd based are forcing development in a counter productive direction for graphics etc. too.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718