Thread: Linux Systems Engineer?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Linux Systems Engineer?

What field of study would be best to get started in this field?

Beans

Re: Linux Systems Engineer?

engineering?
    Disclaimer: I am currently suffering from severe CSD (Compulsive Sarcasm Disorder).
    My Site | Linux User #452328 | Running Arch Linux on Sony Vaio VGN-SZ61XN/C since October 2008

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bodyharvester View Post
    I wanted to know from some folks that actually have some experience in that field that can give more detailed answers than what a crappy google search can give.

I figured "Hey what better place to ask than in a Linux forum, about careers in a linux field?"

Silly me huh?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I work with Linux professionally on a workstation and have met quite a few Linux administrators. Most of them started out with training in something else like mechanical engineering, Windows administration, computer science, whatever, and just ended up where they are now because a job required Linux or they just explored it on their own. Nobody I've come across specifically had training for Linux administration aside from a few community college courses to get their feet on the ground. Cheers!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lukeiamyourfather View Post
    I work with Linux professionally on a workstation and have met quite a few Linux administrators. Most of them started out with training in something else like mechanical engineering, Windows administration, computer science, whatever, and just ended up where they are now because a job required Linux or they just explored it on their own. Nobody I've come across specifically had training for Linux administration aside from a few community college courses to get their feet on the ground. Cheers!
    Thank you!