Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Court orders Google to reveal anonymous blogger's identity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Court orders Google to reveal anonymous blogger's identity

Have you seen this heap o' crud? Model Liskula Cohen didn't like the fact that a blogger doesn't like her. So she took Google to court, to force them to reveal the identity of this offensive blogger. And she won! Strewth!

If my blog offends anyone, feel free to sue Wordpress or whoever in an attempt to discover my true identity. I promise you, it won't be as easy as Cohen's case. I hide behind my cloak of anonymity like a craven coward. But I'm brave really.

If you're a blogger and are worried about what the law might do to you, check out the EFF's legal guide for bloggers. Or you could take a leaf from my book and look at their guide to how to blog anonymously. If you hide your identity well, you'll be able to diss anyone you like without any fear of reprisals. Of course, if your blog is offensive enough, it'll get taken down eventually. But with Wordpress and Blogger accounts free and easy to set up, you won't be silenced for long.

Incidentally, does anyone agree that Liskula Cohen should toughen up a bit? She's a model, in the heroically bitchy fashion industry, yet she gets all sensitive and litigal about a few online insults. What a prat!
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4
    blog

Beans

Re: Google betrays anonymous blogger's trust

**** move, Google. She should've been laughed out of the court room.

EDIT: I'm stupid.
    Last edited by Sand & Mercury; August 20th, 2009 at 01:42 PM.
    La Dânse Macabre.

~ sandandmercury.net | deviantART profile ~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

How is this Google's fault? They were given a court order.
    Posting code? Use the [code] or [php] tags.
    I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sand & Mercury View Post
    **** move, Google. She should've been laughed out of the court room.
    I'm pretty sure it was a Judge/jury and not Google who passed judgment.

Beans
    Hidden!

My goodness I hope there is an appeal.

I think the blogger's defense is spot on, "blogs 'serve as a modern-day forum for conveying personal opinions, including invective and ranting', and should not be treated as factual assertions. " To have rejectge3d this is to hold everyone who types a message on a publicly readable server to the standards of a journalist, and provides the wealthy with the opportunity to silence opinions they find inconvenient.

Judge Joan Madden aught to be ashamed.
    Jill has left these forums due to ongoing double-standards in rule enforcement.

Beans

Yep. If anyone get's annoyed by me just ask and I'll send you a cup of coffee in the post.....

That's a little bit of overkill there!
    ipMonitor & Kiwi Syslog Server 9 - Online Representative operating on behalf of SolarWinds, LLC

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by JillSwift View Post
    My goodness I hope there is an appeal.

I think the blogger's defense is spot on, "blogs 'serve as a modern-day forum for conveying personal opinions, including invective and ranting', and should not be treated as factual assertions. " To have rejectge3d this is to hold everyone who types a message on a publicly readable server to the standards of a journalist, and provides the wealthy with the opportunity to silence opinions they find inconvenient.

Judge Joan Madden aught to be ashamed.
    +1, could not have said it better myself

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JillSwift View Post
    Yes, but even commentators outside the Internet show their faces, and then it's not really altogether hard to get their names. Why should the Internet be different? I don't know what was said about the model, but if it was sufficiently nasty, slander is still slander, and the courts are charged with upholding the laws pertinent to it.

You want to be potentially slanderous about someone without anyone knowing who you are and why you said what you did? Go scrawl something on the bathroom stall walls - it's really the only medium that's untraceable.

For posterity, the thread title is grossly misleading, because this isn't Google's fault one bit.
    The views expressed in this post belong to Tristam Green and do not represent the views of any other entity, foreign or domestic, as long as you both shall live, Amen.
    OMG! Cheesecake! | Fuduntu - catch the fever!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by EDavidBurg View Post
    How is this Google's fault? They were given a court order.
    Blah. I realize that "technically" Google is blameless in this. But Google are always hiding behind this "it's not my fault, it's the law" crap. Like in China, they help the authorities identify anonymous "cyber criminals" (ie bloggers who are critical of their government) then bleat that they had to help, that they have to obey the law.

I think their protests are dishonest. Google likes narking on people. You tell me, why does Google want to collect the personal info of their users? There are 2 reasons: to make money; and to drop them in the poo.

I used to like Google. I believed in their "Don't Be Evil" hype, God help me! But no more! Come on, everyone, repeat after me: Google smell!

Seriously though, there are plenty of online services that do their best to avoid having to nark on their users. A lot of pro-freedom organizations take care to delete their logs every couple of days so if a court demands info there'll be nothing to hand over. Check out Scroogle: they do exactly the same as Google's search facility, but they don't feel the need to keep tabs on everyone. (Note: if you want to use Scroogle to search the web, use this link - https://ssl.scroogle org. This will make the session secure from eavesdroppers as well as from Google's nosey servers.)
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4
    blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

chants: "Google Smell!"

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast