Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to make the totally unsupported Lexmark X2500 Work

Beans

Re: How to make the totally unsupported Lexmark X2500 Work

Quote Originally Posted by billcecil View Post
    I have the same problem. What can I do?
    Hi,

I'm a new Ubuntu 10.04 user and I'm trying to install this stupid Lexmark driver. I ran into the same problem where it asks you to enter the root password and naturally I enter my user/administrator password and it says it's not correct. I guess what I'm asking is if someone can spell out exactly what I'm supposed to type to get through the root password thing so I can continue installing the driver for my x2580. Please...very specific instructions are highly sought after.

THanks,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I've managed everything up until going into the CUPS interface...how do I go about this? I have Cups installed in synaptic, is there any other package I need and then how do I run it?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aquascrotum View Post
    I've managed everything up until going into the CUPS interface...how do I go about this? I have Cups installed in synaptic, is there any other package I need and then how do I run it?
    I'll answer my own question...http://localhost:631/

Beans

muasg

For some reason when I ran the file the lexmark installer it did not recognize my password as correct either.

If you go to a command line and run the app from there with sudo it should work fine. It won't ask for the root password during the install process.

(assuming the installer is extracted to your home dir.)
    Code:
    sudo ./lexmark-inkjet-08-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb.sh

To get to the cups interface point your browser at:
    Code:
    http://localhost:631
    Click the Administrator tab, and add the printer.

Hope that helps, and thanks for the great post! This helped a lot!
    Last edited by Erasmuz; August 27th, 2010 at 03:26 AM.

Beans

For those of you that have had a chance to use the x2500 in ubuntu, can you please report back if this printer is as much of an infuriating beast (ink hog / print test sheet / "your filled ink cartridge is empty, please order more from Lexmark") in ubuntu as it is in XP?

Thanks

Beans

It seems to work fine for me. Doesn't hog that much ink...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

that was awesome, I have been wanting to get my x2500 to work in Linux forever and nothing ever worked, this worked flawlessly!

Beans

i am hoping you all can help me i am very veryyyy new to this and not good at command line i have done some years ago but well stupid as ?!@##$ but i will not use windows anything any more and i am trying to learn i am in the works of converting everything i have to ubuntu this printer the lexmark X2500 is one of 3 things left and i can say good by to the windows world forever but i need this for my business is anyone willing to walk me threw it like i am a idiot because well i am when it comes to this i am going to get as far as i can i have to get out of the windows world

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by muasg View Post
    Hi,

I'm a new Ubuntu 10.04 user and I'm trying to install this stupid Lexmark driver. I ran into the same problem where it asks you to enter the root password and naturally I enter my user/administrator password and it says it's not correct. I guess what I'm asking is if someone can spell out exactly what I'm supposed to type to get through the root password thing so I can continue installing the driver for my x2580. Please...very specific instructions are highly sought after.

THanks,
    Specific instructions on installation on Ubuntu 9.10+ (including 64bit machines):
    Download the debian drivers from the lexmark website here, click on the dowloaded .zip file and extract it. Then open a terminal and enter the following:
    Code:
    cd **directory where you extracted your installer file**
    ./lexmark-inkjet-08-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb.sh --noexec --target lexmark
    cd lexmark/
    tar xvf instarchive_all --lzma
    lexmark-inkjet-08-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb
    sudo dpkg -i --force-all lexmark-inkjet-08-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb
    Your driver will then be installed. Following the directions at the beginning of this post has NOT yielded good results for me however, and am unable to print or scan in ubuntu 10.10 using the x2500.

Beans
    Distro

I had this working in Karmic, have installed Oneiric and am now in a mess.

I can do everything up to:

6. Now add the printer using the CUPS interface.
    In the first box on the name/ description page there must not be any spaces so, for instance, just type lexmarkX2550 as one word. On the next page, in the Device dropdown list, select: "Lexmark USB Backend #1 (Lexmark X2500 series)" For Model/Driver select "Lexmark 2600 series, 1.0 (en)".
    (On the Eee PC, you can also add the printer via the Printers icon on the Settings tab. However, I found doing it this way did not set the A4 paper size properly so that multiple-page printing did not work correctly.I then had to change the paper size in CUPS so it seems best to add the printer via CUPS in the first place.)
    When I go into the CUPS interface (CUPS 1.5?) to add a printer I dont get the option to add a new custom printer, only to add printers from a defined list. One of them is a Lexmark 2500 series, however if I select that I can't select "Lexmark USB Backend #1 (Lexmark X2500 series)" anywhere.

Can anyone shed any light!?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast