Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to make the totally unsupported Lexmark X2500 Work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: How to make the totally unsupported Lexmark X2500 Work

Amaaaaazing!!! it worked perfectly I had tried to install this printer for ages and searched all over the web for a solution with no luck. until I found this! thank you so much!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ktsteel View Post
    Hey guy I can get all the way to the screen that says need to enter admin password but it wont accept mine, and I know it is correct, any thoughts?
    I have the same problem. What can I do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Hey ktsteel and billcecil, I was having that same problem and it's a very simple fix. The trouble is that it's looking for the 'root' password, and I'm guessing you're using an OS that uses sudo instead of root, right? Yeah, so you don't have a root password, you have a sudo password. Anyway, to get around that just execute the script with sudo, e.g. sudo ./lexmark_script_whateveritis

Also thanks for this little tip altogether. I haven't got it running yet (having troubles with the cups 1.2 thing, but I'm sure nathan726's link will do the trick for me, thanks to you too), but I will. I've been looking for this for over a year now...

UPDATE: Well, I got it working just fine if the printer is plugged directly into my Ubuntu box. Trouble is, I usually have it connected to a laptop that serves as a print server. Honestly, I'm thinking my troubles lie in the fact that the "server" is Windows XP, due to the fact that before today I couldn't use the printer with anything but Windows. I have the printer connected to my Ubuntu box through CUPS, and setup as a Samba printer. I'm using the exact same driver as I did when connected directly using USB. When printing over the network, my Ubuntu box gives me an error.

The error states:"There was a problem processing document 'test page', but in the Printer Properties window next to Printer State: it says, only for a moment, that the printer cannot communicate with the computer.

If anyone can help me out with this, that would be awesome. Otherwise, I'll take what I can and simply connect this computer directly to the printer (it's a laptop anyway) when I need to print, which is rarely. Thanks again guys.
    Last edited by joedulin; February 23rd, 2010 at 05:39 AM.

Beans

Thanks Joedulin, but I tried the sudo thing and still had no luck. I get through the setup until it asks for root password.

Beans

I did it! I had to change the sudo password. Thanks for the help. I might get this stuff down some day.

Beans

thank you this worked really well for me! you sir, are a hero.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hello and thank you!

But THERE IS ANY way of making the scanner of this all-in-one work too? Is very important. Maybe even more than the printing.

Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Bump

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi, thanks this worked perfectly for me! everything worked including the scanner but I recently upgraded ubuntu to 10.04 Lucid Lynx and Xsane just doesn't detect the scanner now. What can I do?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mbv93 View Post
    Hi, thanks this worked perfectly for me! everything worked including the scanner but I recently upgraded ubuntu to 10.04 Lucid Lynx and Xsane just doesn't detect the scanner now. What can I do?
    i don't Understand what should i do in here:
    6. Now add the printer using the CUPS interface.
    In the first box on the name/ description page there must not be any spaces so, for instance, just type lexmarkX2550 as one word. On the next page, in the Device dropdown list, select: "Lexmark USB Backend #1 (Lexmark X2500 series)" For Model/Driver select "Lexmark 2600 series, 1.0 (en)".
    (On the Eee PC, you can also add the printer via the Printers icon on the Settings tab. However, I found doing it this way did not set the A4 paper size properly so that multiple-page printing did not work correctly.I then had to change the paper size in CUPS so it seems best to add the printer via CUPS in the first place.)
    Can you please provide me some informations about what should i do exactly in here .
    I can't find this =>> "name/ description" , where should i look for it becouse on http://localhost:631/ i cannot see it.
    Thank you all .
    This i my CUPS 1.4.3 main page http://img816.imageshack.us/img816/261/cups143.png
    Last edited by Gold_Eyes; June 12th, 2010 at 01:32 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast