Thread: After kernel update Ubuntu keeps asking "Restart Required" to finish update.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

After kernel update Ubuntu keeps asking "Restart Required" to finish update.

Hi,

This morning when I booted-up, Ubuntu came up with the message saying there were updates available, one of which was a kernel update to 2.6.28-15 (I was on 2.6.28-14). I let it install all the suggested updates (there were about a dozen of them), and it said Restart Required.

I did the restart but running 'uname -a' still showed I was on 2.6.28-14. About a minute after the restart it came up again saying a restart was required again, so I clicked Restart and it went down and came back up a second time though it was still running 2.6.28-14 afterwords. Now a third time it's asking to restart yet again. Am I stuck in a loop?

Has anyone updated to 2.6.28-15? And if so did you run into this? I'm running a PanP5 system with a stock version of Ubuntu, besides a few third-party apps through Synaptic.

Thanks --

Sam

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: After kernel update Ubuntu keeps asking "Restart Required" to finish update.

Check in the GRUB menu which kernel you have selected.

Beans
    Distro

Re: After kernel update Ubuntu keeps asking "Restart Required" to finish update.

Quote Originally Posted by kpkeerthi
    Check in the GRUB menu which kernel you have selected.
    Grub looked okay, but what looked like was happening was clicking "Restart Now" only restarted X and not the entire system. I instead clicked "Restart Later" and manually shut down the system. When it came back up it of course hit Grub and loaded the 2.6.28-15 kernel.

For a second there I thought Ballmer had sneaked something in on that last update

Sam

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

That worked for me as well, samalex. Thanks.

Joe

Beans

Had the same issue here. Fresh install as a VM on ESXi 3.5 server. Installed all recommended update (no third party). Restart was not actually restarting the system just X. Selected restart later and did a proper restart and all is working now.

uname -a state running kernel 2.6.31-17

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

That definitely sounds like a bug. I've not seen that happen before. Good job figuring it out though. At least it was easy.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Unhappy Re: After kernel update Ubuntu keeps asking "Restart Required" to finish update.

Happens to me too x.x

But fixed as said up there

Manually rebooted and everything was fine.
    Last edited by luca.marinosci@gmail.com; January 14th, 2010 at 09:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Every time a kernel update or any update that requires a reboot happens, I just cancel the message box asking if I want to reboot and manually do so... that's the only way I've found to get past it since the "Reboot Now" message does only restart X.

Yeah, a bug but nothing too crazy since rebooting only takes 30-40 seconds if that on my PanP5.

Sam

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I've got a bunch of updates waiting. I'll run them and post back when I reboot my machine. Ping me if you don't hear from me by Monday on it. I'll be out of the office tomorrow.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

OK, scratch that. I ran update, which included the -17 kernel and selected "Restart Now." X hung on the restart so I went into a terminal and restarted gdm.

But when I check the kernel I'm running, it's the -17.

So, it's not a reproduction of your problem, but it was wonky.

Let's pick it up next week and I'll image a Pangolin and get more scientific with it.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC