Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Script to create android (480x320) compatible mp4 video using ffmpeg

Beans
    Hidden!

Script to create android (480x320) compatible mp4 video using ffmpeg

If you're interested I created a python script to create compatible mp4 video for android G1/Dream/Hero from any video file using ffmpeg. It will figure out the padding top and bottom to fit the screen and keep the original video aspect ratio, see attached. To install and use:

To install:
    1. save attached file to /tmp/
    2. put the file into a folder in your PATH, in this case /usr/bin: "sudo cp /tmp/android-video.py /usr/bin"
    3. give the file exec rights: "sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/android-video.py"
    4. install ffmpeg with mp4 etc support, try using the following (works for Jaunty and Intrepid):
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install ffmpeg ubuntu-restricted-extras
      A full set of methods can be found in this thread: HOWTO: Easily enable MP3, MPEG4, AAC, and other restricted encoding in FFmpeg

To use:
    1. go to the terminal and cd to the directory where video exists
    2. run "android-video.py videofile1 videofile2..."
    3. new gnome-terminals will be spawned for each video conversion required
    4. New files with the same name as originals will be created but with a .mp4 extension added

Note: you'll need ffmpeg installed...

If you want to change the video conversion settings they are all set at the top of the script as follows:

Code:
    TEMP_INFO_PATH = "/tmp/android-video.info"
    TARGET_VIDEO_WIDTH = 480
    TARGET_VIDEO_HEIGHT = 320
    TARGET_AUDIO_CHANNELS = 2
    TARGET_AUDIO_SAMPLING_RATE = 16000
    TARGET_AUDIO_BIT_RATE = 64000
    TARGET_FRAME_RATE = 23.976
    TARGET_VIDEO_BIT_RATE = 500000
    NO_PADDING = False
    In theory it could be used for future devices with other screen sizes and requirements...

Hope you find it useful..I do

Edit: I've updated the script to handle input video aspect ratio's lower than what the android offers, this will result in left and right padding of the output video rather than the usual top and bottom padding as seen with modern day films.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by kaivalagi; November 6th, 2009 at 01:10 PM. Reason: updated script to fix "odd"ities

Beans

Re: Script to create android (480x320) compatible mp4 video using ffmpeg

FFmpeg from the repository will need restricted encoders, such as mpeg4 and libfaac, to be enabled:

HOWTO: Easily enable MP3, MPEG4, AAC, and other restricted encoding in FFmpeg

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by FakeOutdoorsman View Post
    FFmpeg from the repository will need restricted encoders, such as mpeg4 and libfaac, to be enabled:

HOWTO: Easily enable MP3, MPEG4, AAC, and other restricted encoding in FFmpeg
    I can't recall compiling ffmpeg before now, I think I am using the one from the standard repos just fine...I'll take a look though, thanks for the heads up.

Edit: The below looks likely though (thanks for the ffmpeg thread link!):

Code:
    Last edited by kaivalagi; August 18th, 2009 at 07:43 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Script update

I've updated the script to handle input video aspect ratio's lower than what the android offers, this will result in left and right padding of the output video rather than the usual top and bottom padding as seen with modern day films.

New script attached to the first post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Awesome, works wonders.

I confirm that this works with any need for compilation or whatnot, the command-line provided is the only thing you need to make it work (tested on Jaunty, playback on my new HTC Hero ).

Small tip: instead of installing the script to /usr/bin, I like to create a ~/bin folder, and put it here. This way it's automagically in my PATH without making it available to other users. You might need to logout/login again for this to work (adding ~/bin to the path is done on login by the ~/.profile script).

Thanks a lot!

- Trib'

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kaivalagi View Post
    I can't recall compiling ffmpeg before now, I think I am using the one from the standard repos just fine...I'll take a look though, thanks for the heads up.

Edit: The below looks likely though (thanks for the ffmpeg thread link!):

Code:
    Compiling FFmpeg is just one option to enable restricted encoders. You can also install ubuntu-restricted-extras as you pointed out, but I prefer to recommend installing libavcodec-unstripped-51 (Intrepid) or libavcodec-unstripped-52 (Jaunty) which is what you really need if you want to use the repository FFmpeg. The ubuntu-restricted-extras metapackage automatically includes these packages, but it also installs a bunch of other packages and I think it is a little bloated.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Talking Re: Script to create android (480x320) compatible mp4 video using ffmpeg

Hello

Just a quick message to say thanks for this script, i have installed as a Nautilus script so that i can just right click the avi choose scripts and then android-video.py and it works perfectly

thanks again

Beans

Unhappy Re: Script to create android (480x320) compatible mp4 video using ffmpeg

i cant get this to work

* android-video.py *
    * Description: Converts any video to MP4 suitable for *
    * viewing on Google Android (480x320) *
    * Author: Kaivalagi *
    * Created: 2009-08-16 *

* PROCESSING: /home/ts/zzz

*** Retrieving file info from ffmpeg using this:
    ffmpeg -i '/home/ts/too' 2> /tmp/android-video.info.328db59e-a17e-11de-9f26-0030056aa91e

*** ERROR: input width and height were not found/used - bug in code needs fixing...!!!
    *** ERROR: Failed to process input file:
    /home/ts/zzz

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/android-video.py", line 150, in <module>
    requiredwidth, requiredheight, top_padding, bottom_padding, left_padding, right_padding = getPadding(inputwidth, inputheight)
    File "/usr/bin/android-video.py", line 106, in getPadding
    return requiredwidth, requiredheight, top_padding, bottom_padding, left_padding, right_padding
    UnboundLocalError: local variable 'requiredwidth' referenced before assignment

* PROCESSING: /home/ts/zzz *

ffmpeg -i '/home/ts/Smooth' 2> /tmp/android-video.info.328db59f-a17e-11de-9f26-0030056aa91e

*** ERROR: input width and height were not found/used - bug in code needs fixing...!!!
    /home/ts/zzzz

requiredwidth, requiredheight, top_padding, bottom_padding, left_padding, right_padding = getPadding(inputwidth, inputheight)
    return requiredwidth, requiredheight, top_padding, bottom_padding, left_padding, right_padding

* PROCESSING: /home/ts/zzz *

ffmpeg -i '/home/ts/[DivX]' 2> /tmp/android-video.info.328db5a0-a17e-11de-9f26-0030056aa91e

/home/ts/[zzz]

* PROCESSING: /home/ts/dvdrip.avi *

ffmpeg -i '/home/ts/dvdrip.avi' 2> /tmp/android-video.info.328db5a1-a17e-11de-9f26-0030056aa91e

/home/ts/dvdrip.avi

* PROCESSING: /home/ts/1 *

ffmpeg -i '/home/ts/1' 2> /tmp/android-video.info.328db5a2-a17e-11de-9f26-0030056aa91e

/home/ts/1

Last edited by tost_ts; September 14th, 2009 at 11:39 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

@tost_ts - do you actually have ffmpeg installed? e.g. run:

Code:
    or compile and install, see the first post for info on this.

It looks like my script is failing to get video dimensions which it does so using "ffmpeg -i <filepath>"

Hope that helps

Beans

Shouldn't the script be able to handle aspect-ratio separate from resolution? Widescreen DVB SD-recordings are stored in 720x576, even though they are targeting a 16:9 AR.

Sample ffmpeg info from a SD-recording in mythtv:
    Code:
    Input #0, mpegts, from '2520_20090916000501.mpg':
      Duration: 00:41:30.06, start: 9431.566544, bitrate: 6443 kb/s
      Program 1 
        Stream #0.0[0x200]: Video: mpeg2video, yuv420p, 720x576 [PAR 64:45 DAR 16:9], 10000 kb/s, 25 tbr, 90k tbn, 50 tbc
        Stream #0.1[0x280](nor): Audio: mp2, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16, 256 kb/s
    There could be an option to use x264, although that adds another SW requirement. It may give slightly better video quality, at the cost of longer conversion time.

Conversion-time could also be slightly improved by using ffmpegs -threads option on multi-core machines.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast