Thread: Help! I've already broken ubuntu

Beans

Help! I've already broken ubuntu

Hi all! I freshly installed ubuntu v.9 on an emachines computer (dual boot w/ windows XP). the computer has a D-link DWL-G510 wireless PCI card that was not recognized out of the box so I tried to get it to work using some internet guidance. I installed 3 ndiswrapper utilities, and then found an option for installing wireless drivers. I downloaded the windows 98 d-link wireless drivers and installed them on the computer. after installing, the wireless card seemed to work - it recognized my wireless network and attempted to connect, although it never completely connected. I restarted the computer thinking that would help, but now ALL the text/buttons from the top and bottom bars on the home screen of ubuntu have disappeared. I can't do anything except right click and change the background. Does anyone know how I can fix this??

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Help! I've already broken ubuntu

i'm afraid i don't know what's causing this, but this might help
    if not just the buttons, but the panels are gone then press ALT-F2, then type
    Code:
    gnome-panel
    "It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. "
    "Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school."
    ~Albert Einstein

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You could always reinstall.

This is why I make /home a separate partition.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Keep Ubuntu free! Donate any amount you like – just use the PayPal donation address donations@ubuntu.com