Thread: How do I Prevent my USB external drive from automounting?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

How do I Prevent my USB external drive from automounting?

I'm attempting to do some maintenance work on my external USB drive, and one of the partitions won't unmount once it's mounted. So I'd like to turn off automounting of my USB drives. Any idea how to get this done?
    What makes a great open source contributor is not primarily the brilliance of their ideas or importance of their bug, but rather their willingness to see it through to success.

Beans

Re: How do I Prevent my USB external drive from automounting?

one of the partitions won't unmount once it's mounted
    Code:
    sudo umount /dev/the partition
    will unmount it..................like.......sudo umount /dev/sda1 .....would unmount the first partition of /sda

do in a terminal

Code:
    fdisk -l
    that's a lower case L not I

to see what the /dev entry for the disk (or partition on the disk) should be

dont know how you got auto mounting on so I dont know how to tell ya to turn off

if it's auto mounting becos it's in fstab remove the ofending line .....but youll half to manualey mount it thar after..............of corse thats just a click if it's displayd in your file manager

O ya I think those thing's auto mount if thare pluged in during boot............boot with it unpluged and see.

VINNY
    Bonox8 triple booting Ubuntu-14.04 Kubuntu-14.04 and Kubuntu-14.10
    4 core i7 HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB-RAM 1152 cuda cores

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: How do I Prevent my USB external drive from automounting?

Nope, Ubuntu auto mounts USB storage devices always (unless you've got a server edition running).

And I've tried manually unmounting the partitions, and the device via both the command line and nautilus. It hangs.

I need to plug this thing in, not have it mount on me, then run fsck on it to fix the thing.
    What makes a great open source contributor is not primarily the brilliance of their ideas or importance of their bug, but rather their willingness to see it through to success.