View Poll Results: Do you use Rhythmbox?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

10 90.91%
  • No.

1 9.09%

Thread: How does Rhythmbox retrieve CD information (upon insertion) and how can I contribute?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Smile How does Rhythmbox retrieve CD information (upon insertion) and how can I contribute?

I'm using:
    • Ubuntu 9.04 - the Jaunty Jackalope
    • Rhythmbox 0.12.0

I inserted The Croatian Prodigy by Ana Vidovic, and it came up as 'unknown CD', etc. After some digging, I also found that the Rhythmbox Help information appears outdated: It refers to Rhythmbox using Sound-Juicer, which isn't installed, and links to its manual, which returns an error when clicking. (The link to the Sound Juicer help info. works properly after installing Sound-Juicer and its dependencies from Synaptic Package Manager.)

So, I can apparently submit the CD information to MusicBrainz (used by Sound Juicer) and extract the CD via Sound Juicer, but why was Sound Juicer not included with the default installation? Should I not be using Sound Juicer with Ubuntu 9.04?

And what does Rhythmbox use to retrieve CD information, and how can I add the album information once for all so that next time I (or anyone else) inserts the CD, the correct track info. etc. will show up?
    Last edited by newagelink; August 17th, 2009 at 01:51 AM. Reason: clarified statement about Sound Juicer reference from Rhythmbox manual
    peace

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: How does Rhythmbox retrieve CD information (upon insertion) and how can I contrib

It gets it from freedb. http://www.freedb.org/en/faq.3.html#21

Beans
    Distro

Re: How does Rhythmbox retrieve CD information (upon insertion) and how can I contrib

Thanks. Why does it use freedb instead of MusicBrainz?
    peace

Beans
    Distro

I installed Grip as the FAQ suggested. When attempting to submit track information to freedb, a notice popped up saying something like, 'You are about to submit information via email', possibly with a 'Yes' or 'No', or maybe it only said 'OK'.

After clicking 'Yes' or 'OK' (I forget which), the notice disappeared, and I received no notification of success or failure; no email composition popped up, and I opened Evolution (which I don't think I've correctly configured; I think it's better to use gmail, accessible everywhere than Evolution only accessible on my laptop) and there was no visible action ... So did it send? or not?

Grip is too complicated to rip CDs; the default settings rip in .wav format to some folder, and the Help documentation is too technical (and possibly incomplete) for me to edit the settings.

So ... is there a better way to contribute to Rhythmbox's CD identification? Did my attempt to submit tracks go through successfully? (If they did, then there is some delay because Rhythmbox still didn't recognize the CD.) What should I do?
    peace