Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here own a moped?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Anyone here own a moped?

So, I can get one for $599 brand new from this store in Dallas, the insurance is less than $100 a year, and it gets over 100 mpg. Now, there are alot of downsides. Speed tops out at 40mph, which means I have to stick to smaller roads, but given I live in a large city, it shouldn't be a problem. I can get basically 99% of places without getting on a highway.

Anyone here have one? Any advice? Ideas? Experiences?
    Desktop
    Antec 300 Illusion, Athlon II X4 640, 8GB DDR3 1333, EarthWatts430W, Radeon HD 6670 1GB
    Laptop
    Lenovo Thinkpad Z61T, T7200@2.00GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100gb HD, TPM Encryption

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Thumbs down Re: Anyone here own a moped?

Quite cheap a ride & nice mileage! Good luck
    Blog: http://terminaltwister.com
    "******* is there to keep Idiots away from Linux!" - Anonymous

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Anyone here own a moped?

I used to have one years ago...Only advice i can give is, watch out for ice, bugs in your helmet and get a good lock!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I used to have one when I was in my mid-teens. Never really used it though, as I lived too far away from the city for it to be a viable means of transportation. Here mopeds aren't allowed to go any faster than ~30mph (rough km/h → mph calculation) though, and that's only if you have a license. For regular mopeds I think the speed limit is something like ~15mph.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Make sure to get a 4 stroke. The 2 stroke ones ( which you add oil to the gas to lube the engine), are smelly and nasty and I hate being behind them on the road.
    100 buckets of bits on the bus,
    100 buckets of bits,
    Take one down, short it to ground,
    FF buckets of bits on the bus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

When I was 16 I used to own one of These

In Blue.

Great fun. Along with my Kawasaki KH250 I wish I'd just left them sitting in the shed rather than sell them for the pittance I got.

Oh well... As the saying goes... "Young & stupid" as I was back then.

Beans

Howdy,

I had a moped as a teenager and upgraded to a Vespa Scooter and later a 4 cilinder Honda, so I think I can comment meaningfully:
    For low speed neighborhood/small town riding, smaller cycles are more dangerous than larger ones. Their suspension is bad (or non-existent), they slide easily and don't brake properly.

I fell twice with my moped, once with the scooter and never with the larger bike. With the moped, I came down at a rainy stop street and slid right in front of an 18 wheeler, which managed to stop, since he just pulled away, but damn.

With the Honda, I slid once or twice and recovered. With mopeds and scooters, it is impossible to recover from a slide - you simply go down, no second chance.

Note that you don't need much to slide on. The tiniest bit of oil, road sign paint, water or sand combined with inferior suspension is all it takes.

Sooooooo, given the choice today, I would rather buy a second hand 400 to 500cc bike, instead of a new moped or scooter. Note that this is also a sentiment I have heard echoed by other bikers that upgraded the way I did, to the point that some fathers would let their children illegally ride larger bikes (some would even re-badge larger 125cc bikes to make them look like 50cc models to try to fool the cops), rather than letting them ride mopeds, scooters or 50cc deathtraps.

Hope that helps!

Beans

All I can say is $599 is way overpriced. Here you get a decent motorcycle 250cc for half that price. You'd probably be able to buy a second hand motorcycle for less than that (model 1970-1990) in good condition.
    Wasting your life is a murder!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    Howdy,

I had a moped as a teenager and upgraded to a Vespa Scooter and later a 4 cilinder Honda, so I think I can comment meaningfully:
    For low speed neighborhood/small town riding, smaller cycles are more dangerous than larger ones. Their suspension is bad (or non-existent), they slide easily and don't brake properly.

I fell twice with my moped, once with the scooter and never with the larger bike. With the moped, I came down at a rainy stop street and slid right in front of an 18 wheeler, which managed to stop, since he just pulled away, but damn.

With the Honda, I slid once or twice and recovered. With mopeds and scooters, it is impossible to recover from a slide - you simply go down, no second chance.

Note that you don't need much to slide on. The tiniest bit of oil, road sign paint, water or sand combined with inferior suspension is all it takes.

Sooooooo, given the choice today, I would rather buy a second hand 400 to 500cc bike, instead of a new moped or scooter. Note that this is also a sentiment I have heard echoed by other bikers that upgraded the way I did, to the point that some fathers would let their children illegally ride larger bikes (some would even re-badge larger 125cc bikes to make them look like 50cc models to try to fool the cops), rather than letting them ride mopeds, scooters or 50cc deathtraps.

Hope that helps!
    Exactly though I think for a beginner a 500cc is a bit to large (and of bad millage in a small town). A 250cc would be better.
    Wasting your life is a murder!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@Blacklightbulb, your location is hilarious

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast