Thread: Assign group access automatically at login to active directory domain admins group

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question Assign group access automatically at login to active directory domain admins group

I have been trying to figure out how to assign the domain admins group from active directory automatic group access at user login.

My system is configured as follows.
    * Likewise Open5 Installed and domain joined using GUI
    /etc/likewise-open5/lsassd.conf updated to allow single sign on
    Changed # assume-default-domain = yes to assume-default-domain = yes
    see more details at http:\\help.ubuntu.com/9.04/serverguide/C/likewise-open.html
    * Sudo rights updated using visudo
    Added - %DOMAINNAME.CO.UK\\domain^admins ALL=(ALL) ALL
    Added - DOMAINNAME\\ad^username ALL=(ALL) ALL
    * Active Directory Users added to Local Group Automatically
    /etc/security/group.conf updated to asign local groups
    sudo gedit /etc/security/group.conf
    Added - *;*;*;Al0000-2400;floppy,video,audio,cdrom,plugdev,users,scanne r
    /etc/pam.d/common-auth updated to enable pam to enable above
    sudo gedit /etc/pam.d/common-auth
    Added - auth required pam_group.so use_first_pass
    See more details at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=929940
    * Active directory users added to local linux groups individual as needed
    sudo gedit /etc/group updated to include additional users
    Added - ad^username,otherad^username,etc to the following groups
    adm, dialout, cdrom, plugdev, lpadmin, admin,

I understand that all a domain admin needs to do is sudo and update /etc/group and include themselves in the relevant groups and reboot. The whole point is i want to figure out how to do it automatically.

Can anyone give me any pointers?

Thanks

Matty-uk
    Last edited by Matty-uk; August 16th, 2009 at 09:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Assign group access automatically at login to active directory domain admins grou

I'm not quite sure I understand what you're trying to do. It sounds like you have two groups, A and B, and you want to add every member of group A to group B, but only when members of group A log in.

If you can install a script to run when a user from group A logs in, then you could do something like:

[CODE]
    $ME=`whoami`
    usermod -a -G groupB $ME
    [CODE]

but this would need to run at root privileges for usermod to work. If you wanted to assign all the users of group A to group B that would be easier: just use grep to extract the users from the appropriate line of /etc/group, and then pipe the output into
    Code:
    xargs -n1 usermod -a -G groupB

Beans
    Distro

Re: Assign group access automatically at login to active directory domain admins grou

Will try and explain it a bit better.

Standard Active directory Users
    Active Directory UserA logs in to the machine and they are automatically added to the floppy, video, audio, cdrom, plugdev, users, scanner groups.

Standard Active directory Users with full rights to machine
    Active Directory UserB logs in to the machine and they are automatically added to the floppy, video, audio, cdrom, plugdev, users, scanner groups. An admin has also manually added this user to these Linux groups; adm, dialout, lpadmin, admin. The user has also been granted sudo rights.

Domain Admin Active directory User
    Active Directory UserAdminA logs in to the machine and they are automatically added to the floppy, video, audio, cdrom, plugdev, users, scanner groups. The user is automattically granted sudo right. They have to sudo /etc/group and add themself to adm, dialout, lpadmin, admin Linux groups and reboot.

I'm happy with how Standard Active directory Users and Standard Active directory Users with full rights to machine works. I would like to automate the part I’ve highlighted if possible.
    Last edited by Matty-uk; August 17th, 2009 at 09:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I know this is an old thread. Hopefully someone is still there. If I edit /etc/group and want to add a domain user, how do I put their username?

Is it DOMAIN\username or just username or DOMAIN\\username (because the first \ cancels out)?

I have put in DOMAIN\username but I don't think it works, as it still gives me warnings about not being in the lpadmin group.

Beans
    Distro

Hi, you don't add any reference to the domain.

For example;
    DOMAIN\username would be just username
    DOMAIN\user name would be just user^name