Thread: Reverting changes/installations

Beans

Reverting changes/installations

Hello,
    I just wanted to resolve my MSI camera not working in Ubuntu. Installed a driver based on http://www.pamplast.com/gspca/ubuntuguide.html .
    Not only the USB camara stopped working completely but it also stopped the video capture card.
    I am new to Linux and use Ubuntu for learning purpose and I really want to learn on making errors on my own.
    I would be glad if anybody more experienced showed me how to revert back the changes the script made and allowing the original drivers for video in Ubuntu to work again.
    Is there any option , like in Windows to return the system to the stage in some point in time?
    Thanks a lot for your recommendation
    Code:
    the script:
    #!/bin/sh 
    rm msicam.tar.gz* >/dev/null
    sudo rmmod gspca
    sudo rmmod msicam 
    sudo rmmod sn9cxxx
    sudo rmmod sn9c102 

sudo rm -R msicam/ >/dev/null
    wget www.pamplast.com/gspca/msicam.tar.gz
    tar xzvf msicam.tar.gz
    cd msicam
    sudo ./c
    cd ..
    sudo rm  msicam.tar.gz*
    sudo rm -R msicam/

sudo echo "# This part is added by msicam_install script http://www.pamplast.com/gspca/"  >>/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    sudo echo blacklist gspca >>/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    sudo echo blacklist sn9c102 >>/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    sudo echo blacklist sn9cxxx >>/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    sudo echo "# End of list " >>/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    exit 0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Reverting changes/installations

I don't think there is any automatic way to go back. It looks like the script removed and blacklisted three modules, probably this is what caused your video capture card to stop working. It completely removed the old msicam module, got a new one, and installed it. Since the old one did not work, probably you can just un-install the new one. Re-install the blacklisted modules, and then you will have a system with no msi camera functionality, but a working video capture card, hopefully.

First, edit the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist file to remove the lines
    Code:
    blacklist gspca
    blacklist sn9c102
    blacklist sn9cxxx
    You might want to add the line
    Code:
    blacklist msicam
    to make sure the msicam module is not used. It might be causing a problem. Then, re-install the formerly blacklisted modules:
    Code:
    sudo insmod gspca 
    sudo insmod sn9cxxx
    sudo insmod sn9c102
    Then, remove the msicam module:
    Code:
    sudo rmmod msicam
    You don't have to bother removing the msicam module code from the hard drive. Leave it there for now. Anyway, see what happens after these steps. Post back your results.

Beans

Thanks. Blacklisting bit worked, the re-install part ended with errors. Despite, the capture card works again.
    Is there any system log on all the changes, installations and removals done in order to do a manual system restore since there is no auto restore for similar cases?

Cheers,
    Marian

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

System logs are in the /var/log directory. A series of syslog files contain the system logs. I don't know if they would have the information you are looking for, but anyway, that is where they are.