Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: setting enviroment variables for use in a script from a 'C' program

Beans

Question setting enviroment variables for use in a script from a 'C' program

Hope someone can help with this, I want to be able to set an environment variable from an external c program that is readable by the calling script, I can read the variables using getenv() and can alter them using setenv() but once the program terminates the changes are lost.
    In /dev/null no one can hear the kernel panic!
    Don't EVER use sudo rm -rf / . if you don't understand a command check it out first!
    BACK UP YOUR DATA OR YOU WILL LOSE IT!!
    Supergrub - The best thing since sliced bread www.supergrubdisk.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: setting enviroment variables for use in a script from a 'C' program

That's not possible. The program gets a pointer to a copy of the environment variables.
    iplist

"Specialization is for Insects", R. Heinlein

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You could always have the C program launch the script using one of the exec family of functions; perhaps the execle() could be used.

If launching the script from the C program is not an option, then as uljanow pointed out, you would be up the creek without a paddle. The C program, once launched (say from a shell), runs in an environment that is separate from the one that launched it. It merely has a copy of the environment variables when it is launched.

The C program can set environment variables (using setenv()) within its own environment, but this has no effect on other environment(s).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I don't think starting a shell script from C will help because the script again will run in its own enviroment

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by MadCow108 View Post
    I don't think starting a shell script from C will help because the script again will run in its own enviroment
    I believe it is possible to configure the environment in which the script runs. I do not have any experience doing this, but I think execle() allows for this.

Beans

When you start a sub-process, that process inherits the environmental variables of the one that launched it.

So yes, it would help, assuming you set all the variables you wanted to, then launched the sub-processes (by forking and then exec'ing, or just straight exec'ing).

Look at execve + buddies for replacing process images, or system() for forking then running processes in the background.

Beans
    Distro

as far as I understand execle only allows to change the enviroment variables of the new process image but does not change the original environment
    but I never used it myself so I may have misinterpreted.

Beans

Yes, you can't change the original environment variables using this method. But the question is, why would you want to?

Beans

Well I thought I was on to a loser with this one as I have tried various things and googled all sorts of combinations and had no luck, thanks for the help anyway!
    In /dev/null no one can hear the kernel panic!
    Don't EVER use sudo rm -rf / . if you don't understand a command check it out first!
    BACK UP YOUR DATA OR YOU WILL LOSE IT!!
    Supergrub - The best thing since sliced bread www.supergrubdisk.org

Beans
    Distro

if you call the c program with a script, why not just set the enviroment variables in the script?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast