Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lubuntu

Beans

Re: Lubuntu

Its in the repositories as LXDE. You can install it alongside GNOME and KDE. The Lubuntu distribution is intended to be a pure LXDE operating system. You can begin minimal and add what you really need without the bloat. The PCLOS gold release is actually quite polished and runs very fast on a netbook with a Via C-7 chipset. No artifacts showing during bootup.

Beans

It has a Windows feel to it and parts of it use GNOME. Its an operating system that follows the KISS principle. Its not Linux for geeks. You just boot up and you can't tell it isn't Windows... LXDE shows an operating system can have a GUI that's beautiful, light, fast and user-friendly. If you come from Windows, there is minimal adjustment to feel right at home in it.

Beans

You can adjust the font size. Increasing them on a netbook makes it more readable. The taskbar has pinnable widgets. Cool. This is closest Linux gets to Windows 7.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I've been keeping track of the development of of Lubuntu on the mailing list, and I'm worried about the way it is going.

For a start off, they refuse to consider replacing the heavier gnome components with lighter alternatives. Network-manager is going to be default, simply because "Thats ubuntu's way of doing things" which is a silly reason, especially considering network-manager pulls 100mb of unnecessary dependencies with it. Stuff like GDM and network-manager are the things that Lubuntu should be removing, otherwise you just end up with another derivative like Xubuntu - supposedly lightweight, but in reality just a lightweight Desktop environment that has been bloated by GNOME.

When I started making Icebuntu/Spri, they were 3 months down the line creating Lubuntu. I'm getting ready to release a final release based on Jaunty, and Lubuntu is skipping jaunty altogether to head for karmic. i can't really understand why. They have lots of devs, a huge packaging team, and I'm just one person doing the same work by myself.

My personal aim is to keep Spri lighter than Lubuntu, and if they keep going the way they're going, I don't think it'll be too difficult.
    Last edited by jaxxstorm; September 8th, 2009 at 11:26 PM.

Beans

they may simply be using GDM and other GNOME stuff for the same reason i do in my project... when you add additional WMs and/or DEs, GDM updates its list of options automatically. gnome and lxde both strive to be very freedesktop.org compliant, so gnome/lxde components can be switched around and used with others all over the place - unmodified - with astounding success. the default gnome/ubuntu menu editor (alacarte) also works with lxde, for example.

anyways,

Lubuntu could be great or, as jaxxstorm pointed out, it could end up simply xubuntu redoux.

looking here makes me a bit skeptical. following the established pattern -- the established pattern that makes xubuntu to heavy/bloated for some... that same individual may be to intimidated by a pure command-line install, and thus move away from Ubuntu as a whole because they don't see any official derivatives that suit their needs/desires.

what would be really great (and what would make me retire the Ubuntu-with-LXDE-remix project in my sig) would be if they followed crunchbang's lead and released a "Lite" version without random applications that i (or you, etc) may or not prefer. who here does not already know what their favorite music player, word processor, presentation creator, DVD burner, media player, etc, is?

some don't, no doubt. some (most?) just know that 'the Ubuntu default' is their favorite for task X.... that is the theory behind my "additional packages" page.... note the very first thing listed there is how to install Ubuntu's default "Add/Remove Applications" in Masonux. (hopefully, that page may end up being useful for future Lubuntu users... if the project doesn't needlessly fork LXDE, which i don't think it will)

Lubuntu will end up filling a niche and attracting more Ubuntu users and more GNU/Linux users in general, which is a good thing no doubt. the official seal of Ubuntaproval will do a lot to help LXDE.

...i'm sure some current and potential future Masonux users will migrate to Lubuntu, but thats ok.

shameless promotion time (following jaxxstorm's lead...

Masonux comes with all the awesomeness of LXDE, ubuntu's networking applet, ubuntu's dual-boot-friendly graphical installer, firefox, and pidgin and.... well, not much else. install your preferred applications on your own using synaptic or add/remove

its also available now.

uses 1gb of hd space and 60mb of ram at boot.

directions to install on systems with less than 256mb of ram at the site, too, though its not as easy.

|
    |
    \/
    Last edited by earthpigg; September 9th, 2009 at 12:53 AM.
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

A couple of screenshots.

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2009/09...oks-promising/

I was going to try to install it by bringing installing Ubiquity in the live environment and seeing if it would cram itself on to the hard drive, but I got distracted. I hate that when it happens. ...
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

is the logo based on lugia from pokemon?

Beans
    Hidden!

So, what happened to this project? Aiming for the next release or a late 9.10?
    "There's no such thing as illegal immigrants, only illegal Governments..."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Glucklich View Post
    So, what happened to this project? Aiming for the next release or a late 9.10?
    I'm wondering about this, too. I was hoping for a simultaneous release with 9.10. I have an old laptop sitting around that I would like to try it on (vs. a custom Arch installation which would take me more time). What's the official word on a possible Lubuntu release date?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

At first they were hoping for Lubuntu to be released with Karmic, but it is not to be. The earliest anyone should expect is Lucid Lubuntu, in April of 2010. The advantage is that it will be a long-term-support release (as well as giving them time to deal with all the bugs, which are too numerous to count).

-Robin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast