Code:
    paddy@paddy-laptop:~$ sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sdb /media/Myfiles
    mount: /dev/sdb: can't read superblock
    i tried to mount it with sdb1 but it doesn't exist

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: USB HD is there but not mounting

my guess is its not being recognized or is not reporting itself to the os. Have you tried rebooting with the drive plugged in? Also, look in your log files under /var/log/ for any reference to the hard drive. The dmesg, syslog, kernel.log could be worth a look.

Beyond that, I really have no other suggestions other that trying it on another computer to see if its even working. If it fails to mount on another computer, then I'm afraid you may have a dead hard drive. Sorry.
    My PC: ASUS P5QC Motherboard w/ Intel Core2Quad 2.83GHz processor - 8GB of DDR2 800 RAM - nVidia GTX 550 TI 1GB - 1 500GB WD SATA Hard Drive - 750GB WD SATA Hard Drive - 2 ASUS DVD+/-RW DL Burners w/ Lightscribe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

yeah it looks like its cooked shame because it was a nice HD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

well seeing how its an external disk, try removing it from the enclosure and installing it in a desktop computer. If its fairly new, less than year, it might have a sata interface. Therefore, you need a pc that has a sata power as well as a sata power plug for it.

Check this out if you don't know what it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA and an older disk may have a ide conector, that just looks like a long bar with a bunch of pins (about 40), it takes a standard 40pin connector but you will need to set the junper to master or slave.

So, if that fails. Then, you truly have a dead disk. Sorry for your loss.
    My PC: ASUS P5QC Motherboard w/ Intel Core2Quad 2.83GHz processor - 8GB of DDR2 800 RAM - nVidia GTX 550 TI 1GB - 1 500GB WD SATA Hard Drive - 750GB WD SATA Hard Drive - 2 ASUS DVD+/-RW DL Burners w/ Lightscribe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

shame it was a good disk storing everything until the end.

Beans

I'm having a very similar problem, and have reproduced it with two separate disks on two separate computers.

Both disks worked fine with ubuntu until they were not "safely removed" under windows XP. After being unsafely removed, neither would mount under ubuntu.

fdisk -l indicates that the disk contains a valid vfat partition at /dev/sdb1, dmesg indicates that the disk was configured and set up as sdb1, however the device /dev/sdb1 does not exist.
    /dev/sdb exists, so ubuntu is detecting the disk, but failing to detect the partition.

I've replicated this on jaunty with both a WD Passport and a patriot 8GB thumb drive.

Both disks still mount fine under windows XP. Cleanly removing them under XP does not change their behavior under ubuntu.

I have not been able to find any other reference to this bug besides this thread...perhaps its time for a bug report?

Godspeed

-Matthew

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12