Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8-year-old kernel security hole found

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

8-year-old kernel security hole found

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08...cal_linux_bug/
    Linux developers have issued a critical update for the open-source OS after researchers uncovered a vulnerability in its kernel that puts most versions built in the past eight years at risk of complete takeover.

The bug involves the way kernel-level routines such as sock_sendpage react when they are left unimplemented. Instead of linking to a corresponding placeholder, (for example, sock_no_accept), the function pointer is left uninitialized. Sock_sendpage doesn't always validate the pointer before dereferencing it, leaving the OS open to local privilege escalation that can completely compromise the underlying machine. . . .

"This passes my it's-not-crying-wolf test so far," said Rodney Thayer, CTO of security research firm Secorix. "If I had some kind of enterprise-class Linux system like a Red Hat Enterprise Linux...I would really go check and see if this looked like it related, and if my vendor was on top of it and did I need to get a kernel patch."
    Gotta figure new kernel updates coming into the repos, maybe as soon as tonight ...
    Direct complaints and/or flames to /dev/null for faster service.
    Everyone who chanted "Drill, baby, drill!" in 2008 now has to report to the coast of the Gulf of Mexico for oil-spill cleanup duty.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: 8-year-old kernel security hole found

Good.
    Open source doesn't have the benefit of 'security through obscurity'.
    Since the code is open for public scrutiny best practices must be followed and it makes for better software overall.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Foster Grant View Post
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08...cal_linux_bug/

Gotta figure new kernel updates coming into the repos, maybe as soon as tonight ...
    Great. This is not good for my server uptime. But security fixes are good.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

ATTENTION: all networked linuxinstallations should have their kernels upgraded!

If you've read slashdot recently, you'll know that kernels going all the way back to 2.4.x have had a security vulnerability which was recently discovered. This includes most architectures (i.e. if you use a PPC or something, don't assume you're safe!)

This vulnerability is trivial to exploit. A malicious program can easily use it to gain kernel-level permissions.

This issue has been fixed. If you are capable of doing so, I recommend downloading a git snapshot kernel and compiling it.

If you are unable to compile a kernel, be a bit more cautious for the next few days. As far as I know this can only be exploited through compiled programs, so you don't have to worry about malicious javascript in web-pages or anything like that. Also the repositories are still safe, I think you'll be fine if you don't install anything outside the repos. This patch will probably get applied to old kernels soon and you'll be seeing it as an update.
    He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
    -Thomas Paine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: ATTENTION: all networked linuxinstallations should have their kernels upgraded!

Thanks for letting us know.
    India is a pluralist society that creates magic with democracy, rule of law and individual freedom, community relations and diversity. I wouldn't mind being born ten times to rediscover India. - Robert Blackwill, U.S Ambassador until 2003.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Good thing they've found the error. Bad thing is this will give Linux's opponents ammunition about how using amateurs programmers and volunteers result in poor security, and how FOSS's community development model is not secure.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by samjh View Post
    Good thing they've found the error. Bad thing is this will give Linux's opponents ammunition about how using amateurs programmers and volunteers result in poor security, and how FOSS's community development model is not secure.
    Because of one exploit that's been discovered? Microsoft has hired programmers to develop its products, yet many exploits are continously being discovered for them, even though the source is closed.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

The bug involves the way kernel-level routines such as sock_sendpage react when they are left unimplemented. Instead of linking to a corresponding placeholder, (for example, sock_no_accept), the function pointer is left uninitialized. Sock_sendpage doesn't always validate the pointer before dereferencing it, leaving the OS open to local privilege escalation that can completely compromise the underlying machine. . . .
    Someone should have paid more attention in C classes. That's really basic stuff: never leave a pointer uninitialized...
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by samjh View Post
    "Amateur" and "volunteers" don't necessarily mean "incompetent". Some of the most highly regarded security experts are free software developers.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Another Critical Kernel Exploit Just Discovered

From The Register:

Linux developers have issued a critical update for the open-source OS after researchers uncovered a vulnerability in its kernel that puts most versions built in the past eight years at risk of complete takeover.

The bug involves the way kernel-level routines such as sock_sendpage react when they are left unimplemented. Instead of linking to a corresponding placeholder, (for example, sock_no_accept), the function pointer is left uninitialized. Sock_sendpage doesn't always validate the pointer before dereferencing it, leaving the OS open to local privilege escalation that can completely compromise the underlying machine.
    More at the source linked above..

Be on the lookout in coming days for the patch to hit the repos.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast