Thread: Issue with a mod:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Issue with a mod:

I made a thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1239482) asking for help with apache, and I posted the config files needed as attached .txt files. I was then asked (by a mod no less) to put them in the post between code tags. I said I wanted to not have 4 giant text boxes on my post, so could he please just right click them and read them (I prefer this so I can read the code as I type a response) in a new tab.

I get this seething response:
    Quote Originally Posted by HymnToLife View Post
    Good luck getting help. If you don't want to bother copying the contents of a bunch of text files, people won't be inclined to help you.

Oh and by the way, no, it doesn't work.
    I feel that this is, bluntly put, asinine. I was merely trying to help out others by having the code open in a different tab, and to save a little space on the thread (my scroll wheel is on it's last legs). Instead I get berated for - what, exactly? The great forum infraction of putting data in a text file?

Thanks for your time - if this is irrelevant, just tell me.
    OH NOES!!! I HAZ CRASHED SERVER!! WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU DO THAT?!?! CAUSE ITS FUNNY!!!!
    Running either 7.04, 8.04, 8.10, 9.04, it varies.
    You talkin' to me? - Taxi Driver (1976)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Issue with a mod:

I will agree with you that the response could have been more graciously worded. HymnToLife is not a native English speaker, so I will ascribe the tone to that.

His point was valid, even if it could have been worded in a gentler way. You would get more help by making it as easy as possible for people to browse the thread and read through the config files.

What you did wasn't illegal, immoral, or wrong in any way. It was a little counter productive. The intent of the comment was to assist you in receiving the best possible assistance as quickly as possible. If a person can scan the config files rapidly within the thread itself, without switching between tabs, they are more likely to do so, and you are more likely to have someone notice something helpful sooner.

Sorry the wording left something to be desired. Again, he is French and thinks primarily in that language, even though is English is generally quite good. Translating directly from French (I speak a bit), his meaning is clear and not intended to offend or insult.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Issue with a mod:

Alright, thank you.
    OH NOES!!! I HAZ CRASHED SERVER!! WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU DO THAT?!?! CAUSE ITS FUNNY!!!!
    Running either 7.04, 8.04, 8.10, 9.04, it varies.
    You talkin' to me? - Taxi Driver (1976)