Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu competing with other OS's for Internet

Beans

Exclamation Ubuntu competing with other OS's for Internet

Does anyone know why Ubuntu competes with other computers on a wireless network? First my Ubuntu machine is working great then I go on my windows machine and it has no internet. I rest it then the reverse happens. My Mac is worse it wont run if you have been on any other computers internet connection including Windows. I know this is not specific just to Ubuntu but I hope someone will know whats going on.

I have:
    1 desktop Ubuntu Gnome Ethernet
    1 desktop windows Ethernet
    1 Laptop Windows Wireless
    1 laptop Ubuntu Gnome Wireless
    1 Laptop Kbuntu KDE4 Wireless
    1 Mac OSX Wireless

The windows machines don't compete with each other and an ubuntu and windows mix with Ethernet don't compete.these wireless machines together that I get a problem. However does effect the Ethernet machines they can kick off or be kicked off from the wireless ubuntu machines.

As you may guess the computers play an important business function so PLEASE I NEED YOUR HELP!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Ubuntu competing with other OS's for Internet

I really don't understand what you are saying here. What does "compete" mean in this context? What does "kicked off" mean?

Is it possible you have your lan set up for static ip addresses and have assigned the same address to different machines? Do all the machines have unique host names?
    There are no dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Does your wireless router have a configuration file you could post?

Your question is confusing at best...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by niallabrown View Post
    Does anyone know why Ubuntu competes with other computers on a wireless network? First my Ubuntu machine is working great then I go on my windows machine and it has no internet. I rest it then the reverse happens. My Mac is worse it wont run if you have been on any other computers internet connection including Windows. I know this is not specific just to Ubuntu but I hope someone will know whats going on.

I have:
    1 desktop Ubuntu Gnome Ethernet
    1 desktop windows Ethernet
    1 Laptop Windows Wireless
    1 laptop Ubuntu Gnome Wireless
    1 Laptop Kbuntu KDE4 Wireless
    1 Mac OSX Wireless

The windows machines don't compete with each other and an ubuntu and windows mix with Ethernet don't compete.these wireless machines together that I get a problem. However does effect the Ethernet machines they can kick off or be kicked off from the wireless ubuntu machines.

As you may guess the computers play an important business function so PLEASE I NEED YOUR HELP!
    Sounds like an issue with your router.
    You're getting some kind of a conflict, IP, DHCP, ARP ...
    What router are you using?
    Post any config information available.
    Registered Linux User: 482377
    MacBook (1,1) - OS X Leopard
    ASUS P5LD2 - Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz - 2GB Corsair RAM - Nvidia 8800GT - Ubuntu 9.04 / Windows 7 Professional

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Just to add to what the others have said, you don't seem to have dhcp set up properly on you router. Your computers are probably getting the same ip address, set your router to dispense at least 10, if not more ip addresses.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Also, if you only have a 4 port router, you will only be able to get 4 clients (wired, wireless or any combination totaling 4). With your configuration, you should probably have at least an 8 port router.
    Phenom 2 x4 955, ASUS M5A97 r2.0, 12GB Patriot RAM, 64GB Samsung SSD (Ubuntu),240GB Vertex 3 SSD (windows 8) 1.5TB WD, 1GB Gigabyte 6850

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by desperado665 View Post
    Also, if you only have a 4 port router, you will only be able to get 4 clients (wired, wireless or any combination totaling 4). With your configuration, you should probably have at least an 8 port router.
    Not necessarily true...
    Registered Linux User: 482377
    MacBook (1,1) - OS X Leopard
    ASUS P5LD2 - Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz - 2GB Corsair RAM - Nvidia 8800GT - Ubuntu 9.04 / Windows 7 Professional

Beans

I didn't set-up the router originally but I did find the info to get to the configuration webpage. It is a Link-sys router. On the basic configuration page it refers to DHCP server (no idea what that means) but it does say Maximum number of DHCP users and it's set to 4. Is that the problem? Do I need the same number as the maximum number of machines I run overall? Do I add in iPhones and Android phones also if they are set to link to the wi-fi?

The router does have 4 Ethernet ports now that I look at it. I assumed the wireless was different from the ports. Does this mean I need a router with more ports?

What does "compete" mean in this context? What does "kicked off" mean?
    By kick off I mean that if I unplug the router and plug it back in then start to use say my wired windows desktop, when I go to my Ubuntu machine it wont work. I get a cannot find page error even if the router is still showing a wi-fi connection to the network. If I went to the Ubuntu one first it would have worked. The wired connections are more resilient but even they can sometimes stop working when I spend a lot of time on a wireless Ubunut or Mac connection.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by desperado665 View Post
    That information is just plain crap. For wired connections, yes you would need 4 ports. But, for wireless you can have as many connections as you want as long as the firmware allows it.

Beans

So it is a good idea for me to bump the 4 DHCP users to 6 or 8 even? I cant mess anything up by doing that can I?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast