Thread: Looking for computer construcion advice

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Question Looking for computer construcion advice

I'm planning on building my own desktop here in the next couple months or so, and I wanted a little advice on some components, mainly processor, wireless card, etc. Here's a basic breakdown of what I have planned:

CPU: AMD either Athlon or Phenom
    Graphics: NVidia
    Wireless: Realtek (have one in my laptop, not many problems with the brand so far)

What I'm looking for advice-wise is firstly: which would be better for a general use desktop, AMD's Athlon or Phenom processor, and what kind? (or Phenom II as is out now I believe). Secondly: What kind of NVidia card should I be looking for? Thirdly: Is there a recommended brand of wireless card to use? I'm not looking to spend a fortune, but then I'm also not trying to build a bargain computer.

My minimum requirements are that I can run Compiz easily *hopefully* be able to hibernate it (not that big of a deal for a desktop though...) and still have a decent computer to run a game here and there in a windows dual-boot. I have a bit of experience with computer components, but am still a little perplexed by the numerous varieties of processors and graphics cards. Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Sudo make me a sandwich!

Laptop:9.10 Karmic Koala 64-bit/Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (Dual boot), Gateway T-1621, AMD Turion 64 X2 1.8 GHz, 4 GB Ram, ATI Radeon X1270

Beans

Re: Looking for computer construcion advice

Quote Originally Posted by phantom3113 View Post
    I'm planning on building my own desktop here in the next couple months or so, and I wanted a little advice on some components, mainly processor, wireless card, etc. Here's a basic breakdown of what I have planned:

CPU: AMD either Athlon or Phenom
    Graphics: NVidia
    Wireless: Realtek (have one in my laptop, not many problems with the brand so far)

What I'm looking for advice-wise is firstly: which would be better for a general use desktop, AMD's Athlon or Phenom processor, and what kind? (or Phenom II as is out now I believe). Secondly: What kind of NVidia card should I be looking for? Thirdly: Is there a recommended brand of wireless card to use? I'm not looking to spend a fortune, but then I'm also not trying to build a bargain computer.

My minimum requirements are that I can run Compiz easily *hopefully* be able to hibernate it (not that big of a deal for a desktop though...) and still have a decent computer to run a game here and there in a windows dual-boot. I have a bit of experience with computer components, but am still a little perplexed by the numerous varieties of processors and graphics cards. Any help is greatly appreciated!
    hello,
    firt of all i think you should go with an amd phenom 2, either dual(model 550 and up) or quad core(model 850 and up), according to your budget. while the quad core really powerful you will have to spend more for it and it is warmer...
    either way you will need ddr3 memory and an am3 mainboard, i would recommend one based on amd 780/790 chipset
    one the graphics front, sorry but no luck...can't help you here
    one more thing, be sure to buy a good power source
    best of luck
    Last edited by alex.pancescu; August 14th, 2009 at 08:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the tips! But what's considered a "good" power source? There are some combo deals on Newegg with computer cases and power sources; would they be ok, or should I look for something more specific?
    Sudo make me a sandwich!

Laptop:9.10 Karmic Koala 64-bit/Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (Dual boot), Gateway T-1621, AMD Turion 64 X2 1.8 GHz, 4 GB Ram, ATI Radeon X1270

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'll agree with alex.pancescu on the CPU choices, but there's no problem going with the PhenomII X3 either (3 cores). I have one in my media center and it performs wonderfully.

As for graphics, getting a 9000 series nVidia card will do the trick. I run an XFX 9600GT 512MB in my media center and it runs everything with out an lag, etc.

And for power supplies, I always go with at least 500W. My top brands are Corsair, OCZ and CoolerMaster. My recent OCZ power supply is great - it's super quiet and keeps my computer very cool.
    Does not hide his beans.
    Is a proud supporter of nuclear energy.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Have a look at this page, for supported wirleless adapters.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for all the help guys! And @DownTown: I actually added the PhenomII X3 to my wishlist the other day
    Sudo make me a sandwich!