Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Realtek rtl8192e wireless not seen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Realtek rtl8192e wireless not seen

Quote Originally Posted by mltriebe View Post
    File will not download any more, says it was downloaded to many times. Can you upload it again. That is what it said you need to do.

Thanks, Mike
    Here you go, 10 more times I guess.

http://rapidshare.com/files/30901755...09.tar.gz.html

MD5: 379F53A4B81A478506A64E49FDBC8126

Beans

Thanks, driver works great but I still had an issue with the computer locking up after a few minutes of wifi use. I got this from a google search.

This is a common issue on x86_64 with >4GB memory mapped for doing 32 bit DMA transfers using an IOMMU (can be emulated via software like in your case [intel], or via hardware[amd]) when some driver leak memory.

And the fix was to add the following to grub.

One more tip, your problem will dissapear completely if boot your system with "mem=4G iommu=off". Of course, your system will have only ~3.3GB of RAM instead of 8G.

Mike

Beans

Thanks Dude for posting this and sharing the driver. I have it working with the following:

Kubuntu 9.10 32-Bit
    Toshiba L500 laptop

Needed to uninstall network-manager. I don't have wicd installed.

Because I have WPA-PSK (TKIP) setup on my router I installed the standard kubuntu wpasupplicant package and copied /usr/share/doc/wpasupplicant/examples/wpa-psk-tkip.conf to /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf then edited it to suit.

I added the following lines to /etc/network/interfaces:

Code:
    auto wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wpa-driver wext
    wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

Added the following line to /etc/modules:
    Code:
    r8192e_pci
    Rebooted and it worked fine. Thanks again for solving this issue.

cheers

Beans

Hello Dude,

I just bought a Samsung N120 with the Realtek RTL8192E and can't get
    the WLAN to work under Ubuntu.
    Can you please upload the driver for me.
    I have my own FTP-Site, so you can (if you want) upload it to:

ftp://magica.selfip.net/incoming

Thanks a lot!!!

Regards

yutani

Beans

I must be seeing something different with this Toshiba. I cannot seem to get the 8192e to come up reliably, even using that latest Linux driver, following the instructions. My home router uses WEP, if that makes a difference.
    Also, not that I am sure this matters, but my WLAN keeps getting seen as WLAN1....when it can be seen...
    I was attempting to use NDIS but had no luck there....
    Toshiba A505D-S6958
    AMD Tuion-X2
    4GB RAM
    Realtek 8192e wireless (b/g/n)
    ATI Radeon 3100
    Ubuntu 9.1.0 64 bit(recent upgrade)

Any assistance greatly appreciated...

Tony ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi Tony. I haven't been able to get the Realtek 8192E to work with 64 bit Windows drivers (or by compiling the source code either) on a relative's Toshiba Satellite P505D laptop. I was able to get it to install using the older 32-bit drivers under 32-bit Ultimate Ubuntu 2.3 (based on 9.04 Jackalope). Here is what I posted on another thread here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...82&postcount=3

Unfortunately, his Linux install got corrupted somehow on a dual-boot Vista, so we just upgraded to the newer Ultimate Ubuntu 2.4 (based on ubuntu 9.10) in 64-bit, and now I can't get the WiFi to work with the newer 64-bit OS either. This new kernel is listed as:
    2.6.31-15-generic #50-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 10 14:53:52 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I did briefly see device "wlan0", but it said it was disabled when I ran an "iwconfig" command. The source code method is described on this Samsung N120 thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1191590

As near as I can tell, this is only/mainly? a problem for the 64-bit OS and drivers (the 32-bit Ubuntu wireless worked great for weeks in the new P505D Toshiba). I've found some newer Vista and Windows 7 drivers, and I may try to mix and match something there (but I remember that being a good way to freeze a 64-bit Linux when we experimented before).

Good Luck (esp. if it's a 64-bit version).

EDIT: The 8192SE source code was throwing error messages at me when I tried compiling that earlier, so I'm not convinced those chipsets are compatible. The 8192 E sourcecode from this German site did eventually compile (but still no 64-bit wireless "wlan0" device functioning- it showed "disabled" and then disappeared after a reboot).

http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/sa.../#post-2247165

This looks to be the fix, thanks to chili555:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1329254

More good tips for Realtek WiFi are here:

http://forum.novatech.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15068
    Last edited by northd_tech; November 25th, 2009 at 03:38 AM. Reason: 8192SE vs E, added link

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Dude-PWB- View Post
    Here you go, 10 more times I guess.

http://rapidshare.com/files/30901755...09.tar.gz.html

Link's down again. Could you perhaps upload the driver again to a more available location - at least just attach it here if possible?

Beans
    Distro

The file is too large to upload here. But here is a new link again.

Remember this is the 32bit version of the driver, you will have to e-mail realtek for the 64bit version.

http://rapidshare.com/files/31872269...09.tar.gz.html

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Dude-PWB-,

I downloaded the driver and followed your instructions. No errors when I do
    Code:
    sudo ./wlan0up
    but no connections either. There is no wlan0 listed by iwconfig, and when I tried to set the essid using
    Code:
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid <ESSID>
    it gave me the error:
    Code:
    Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) :
        SET failed on device wlan0 ; No such device.
    The link is for a 32 bit driver, correct? I've tried ndiswrapper also with no success. I have a Realtek 8172 on a Toshiba T135-S1309, running Ubuntu 9.10 32-bit. Extensive Googling has revealed nothing for the 8172 except that it's _supposed_ to work with the 8192e drivers. Do you have any other suggestions?

I've never done this before -- on my old laptop (Atheros card) the wireless worked out of the box.

Thanks! =)
    int main() {
    insert_clever_signature();
    return 0;
    }

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Sissy13 View Post
    Dude-PWB-,

I downloaded the driver and followed your instructions. No errors when I do
    Code:
    sudo ./wlan0up
    but no connections either. There is no wlan0 listed by iwconfig, and when I tried to set the essid using
    Code:
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid <ESSID>
    it gave me the error:
    Code:
    Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) :
        SET failed on device wlan0 ; No such device.
    The link is for a 32 bit driver, correct? I've tried ndiswrapper also with no success. I have a Realtek 8172 on a Toshiba T135-S1309, running Ubuntu 9.10 32-bit. Extensive Googling has revealed nothing for the 8172 except that it's _supposed_ to work with the 8192e drivers. Do you have any other suggestions?

I've never done this before -- on my old laptop (Atheros card) the wireless worked out of the box.

Thanks! =)
    If you are absolutely sure about which wireless device you have, I would e-mail realtek and ask them for the driver, that's all I did, and they were quite quick about it too.

However, that card seems to be one that I have not yet seen. Make sure you check the networking section of 'lspci -vv' closely to determine the proper chipset.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast