Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Silverlight in Ubuntu?

Beans

Microsoft Silverlight in Ubuntu?

I'm in the process of setting up a computer for my TV (htpc). One of the things I wanted it to be able to do is stream soccer games from www.setanta-i.com. I have a subscription but I can't seem to get it to work on Ubuntu yet. It needs two things in order to be able to stream, microsoft silverlight and another program called autobahn.

Here is where I am at:

Tried to get it to work using Mozilla Firefox. Can't find a silverlight plugin which will work. Did install the moonlight plugin however it doesn't seem to be recognizing it. When you go to the website www.setanta-i.com it tells you whether or not you have the plugin installed, and despite installing moonlight, it is still telling me silverlight is not installed.

Second, tried installing internet explorer through Wine thinking that a microsoft product might have an easier time working with another microsoft product. Did ies4linux and now have IE6 working. Was able to install the autobahn program. Tried to install silverlight through Wine and give me an error "Unable to find a volume for file extraction. Please verify that you have the proper permissions. " What does this mean?

Found some more info on trying to get Silverlight to work through Wine, tried them but none of them seemed to work.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...estingId=30583

Anyone have any ideas of other stuff I can try???

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Microsoft Silverlight in Ubuntu?

Firstly, I suggest you get Firefox for Windows, running on Wine. Firefox should work better than Internet Explorer on Wine.

Silverlight 3 is installable through wine (should detect firefox is installed). In fact, IE doesn't work with Silverlight in Wine. Here's the WineHQ topic but it seems pretty straightforward: FF+Silverlight.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=17241

EDIT: That error you got was probably a wine error. Did you mess around with the .wine folder? There's a possibility that that folder now belongs to root, and you need to switch the permissions back to normal (running Wine as sudo should not be attempted, in the case that malware for windows actually runs on the thing and destroys your whole root folder).

Tell me the status of your .wine folder. (/home/yourusername/.wine).

EDIT 2: There's a chance that running Wine as sudo might have messed up your .wine too. In any case, check the permissions of the thing.
    Last edited by ugriffin; August 13th, 2009 at 05:47 PM.
    I am an indie game developer and freelance programmer.
    My main device is a Mac, but I like to dual boot Ubuntu on my Windows laptop.

Beans

Silverlight, another closed source Windows-Only Microsoft product....

It feels very 1999 instead of 2009 to me. The future is on the web based on open standards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Copernicus1234 View Post
    Silverlight, another closed source Windows-Only Microsoft product....

It feels very 1999 instead of 2009 to me. The future is on the web based on open standards.
    And still, that bloody thing is catching on, considering various web-apps are silverlight based.
    I am an indie game developer and freelance programmer.
    My main device is a Mac, but I like to dual boot Ubuntu on my Windows laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Install moonlight from synaptic to see if that helps.

Beans

Did you ever get SilverLight to work? The conversation ended. I have the same problem and would love to see how you solved it. Thanks!!

Beans

My thing detects Moonlight just fine, but not Autobahn and that's only for Windows or Mac so except for Wine you're outta luck.
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by doorknob60 View Post
    My thing detects Moonlight just fine, but not Autobahn and that's only for Windows or Mac so except for Wine you're outta luck.
    Care to elaborate? I'm trying to do essentially the same thing as the guy in the first post. It seems that Setanta is no longer requiring Autobahn to be installed in order to access Setanta-i (which must've happened very recently because I know it was needed last week when I tried to sign up for the service).

Now I've got it working fine on my Windows partition but I'd love to be able to watch some streaming soccer without having to boot into Windows or having to fiddle with Wine. I installed the moonlight firefox plugin with apt-get but the Setanta-i website still says that Silverlight must be installed.

It's no big deal if I have to use Wine do do this but it'd be cool if I didn't. Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

Beans

Silverlight in Firefox in Wine doesn't work because it still needs a bunch of DirectX stuff. I think the general consensus is to run Firefox in Windows in Virtualbox and watch it there. It's the only way I could get Netflix movies to stream.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by ugriffin View Post
    Firstly, I suggest you get Firefox for Windows, running on Wine. Firefox should work better than Internet Explorer on Wine.

Silverlight 3 is installable through wine (should detect firefox is installed). In fact, IE doesn't work with Silverlight in Wine. Here's the WineHQ topic but it seems pretty straightforward: FF+Silverlight.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=17241

EDIT: That error you got was probably a wine error. Did you mess around with the .wine folder? There's a possibility that that folder now belongs to root, and you need to switch the permissions back to normal (running Wine as sudo should not be attempted, in the case that malware for windows actually runs on the thing and destroys your whole root folder).

Tell me the status of your .wine folder. (/home/yourusername/.wine).

EDIT 2: There's a chance that running Wine as sudo might have messed up your .wine too. In any case, check the permissions of the thing.
    I'm getting the same error message as the OP when trying to install Silverlight through Wine. I never messed around with the permissions to my .wine folder but what should they look like anyways? Or could it be some other problem going on here?

Edit: I see. Well that stinks but I've been meaning to figure out Virtualbox anyways so now this just gives me more incentive. Thanks for the heads up.
    Last edited by odduck; September 24th, 2009 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Just now saw bedhead's post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast