Thread: Root access

Beans

Root access

I just finished installing Desktop 9.04 (64 bit). At one point during the install, I was asked to enter a user name, and a password. I was not asked to enter a root password.

I am trying to do some administrative stuff, but I am not allowed to do that. I tried a terminal, and then su joseph and entered my password. Then gedit and I opened up a file /etc/apt/sources.list and tried editing it, but it won't let me save it.

I looked through the previous posts (related to this), but they're not current, or did not match my question.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Root access

Quote Originally Posted by josephmo View Post
    I just finished installing Desktop 9.04 (64 bit). At one point during the install, I was asked to enter a user name, and a password. I was not asked to enter a root password.

I am trying to do some administrative stuff, but I am not allowed to do that. I tried a terminal, and then su joseph and entered my password. Then gedit and I opened up a file /etc/apt/sources.list and tried editing it, but it won't let me save it.

I looked through the previous posts (related to this), but they're not current, or did not match my question.

Any ideas?
    Hi and this link should help RootSudo
    Forum policy on log-in-as-root tutorials