Thread: Why isn't there a plugin that opens youtube videos in vlc directly from youtube

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Why isn't there a plugin that opens youtube videos in vlc directly from youtube

Is there a plugin for firefox that could open the flv file from a youtube video with vlc (or other video player) and stream it from youtube? This would solve many flash issues, flash performance is horrible (even on windows) but any other video player can play the save video fullscreen and a much much better framerate.

Does such a thing exist? would anyone else use such a plugin if it existed?

EDIT: thanks to the thread posted below, I have found this greasemonkey script which is flawless: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/50771
    Last edited by Rob-e; August 16th, 2009 at 04:51 PM.
    Every time you boot to windows, a kitten dies.

Desktop - Athlon II X4, Radon HD 5770, dual (crt) monitor 1800x1440 & 1600x1200

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Why isn't there a plugin that opens youtube videos in vlc directly from youtube

Check the Flash Optimization section of Firefox optimization and troubleshooting thread. It has what you want and other options, like replacing the player with a Greasemonkey script.

Re: Why isn't there a plugin that opens youtube videos in vlc directly from youtube

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-e View Post
    Why isn't there a plugin that opens youtube videos in vlc directly from youtube
    Because YouTube hates people viewing their videos without using their site, and regularly changes its protocols to frustrate YouTube downloaders.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    Check the Flash Optimization section of Firefox optimization and troubleshooting thread. It has what you want and other options, like replacing the player with a Greasemonkey script.
    wow, great thread, just what I was looking for
    Every time you boot to windows, a kitten dies.

Desktop - Athlon II X4, Radon HD 5770, dual (crt) monitor 1800x1440 & 1600x1200

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-e View Post
    wow, great thread, just what I was looking for
    Thank you. I'm glad it helped.