Thread: cheap gamepad for emulators?

Beans

cheap gamepad for emulators?

what gamepad would work in linux for the nes emulator?
    need: d-pad, select/start, and at least 2 buttons (4 would be nice because of turbo a/b). prefer it to feel as simple as the original nes controller. don't want to buy the retrolink or anything over 5 dollars.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: cheap gamepad for emulators?

Almost all gamepads will work as they all typically use the standard usb HID interface. I got a couple cheap-o microsoft ones with a d-pad, 4 buttons on the face and 2 shoulder buttons and they work great in mame (and I assume in anything else they'd be fine too) at a garage sale. I think they came from the university's psych department (behavior experiments). - http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Side.../dp/B00004UC0L

I also have some variant of a logitech "wing commander" that has more buttons and 2 analog sticks that also works great (including the sticks)

You could probably score some similar pads on ebay for super cheap.

Also original x-box controllers are actually standard usb controllers, all you have to do is chop the cable and put a new connector on (there are guides on the google).

Just make sure you get USB ones because there are about 20 billion trillion out there that use a "game connector" which is in fact a midi port, typically found on older/high-end sound cards (and most certainly not found in any on-board or laptop sound hardware.
    Sharing Wifi Is Caring Wifi {o,o} Ubuntu Community Docs..
    |)__)
    -”-”-
    O RLY?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

where in the world are you
    in india you could get one
    similar to a Playstation 2 gamepad with shock for 200 rupees
    thats about 4 dollars

Beans

Hey, thanks for the suggestions (except that one about India, that was tasteless). I figured any usb controller would work, I was just hunting for one that looked/felt as genuine to a nes as possible. I think I'll try to find some of those ones from newegg on ebay. They looked good.
    I'll let you know. Thanks