Thread: anyone know how to auto shutdown laptop when battery is at 15% ?

Beans
    Hidden!

Question anyone know how to auto shutdown laptop when battery is at 15% ?

anyone know how to auto shutdown laptop when battery is at 15% ?

i get a warning at 15% but no shutdown. i hear 15% for a li-on battery is a good cut off point for preserving the life of the battery. i do not necessarily need a warning, just a shutdown at 15%, simply since i'm usually having a cup of coffee when the battery goes down that much. anyone know hot to accomplish this ?

thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: anyone know how to auto shutdown laptop when battery is at 15% ?

In Kubuntu, you click the battery icon in systray and there you can define what to do.
    The only thing is that it measures battery life in minutes and not %.
    But you can tell it to shutdown, hibernate, poweroff when it reaches n Minutes left.

Same thing must be available in Gnome.
    /**HP Pavilion DV6646us laptop: AMD 1.9 GHz Turion 64 X2 / 2Gb RAM / 160Gb HDD / NVIDIA GeForce Go 7150M / 15.4" WXGA / BroadCom BCM4328 wireless / Built-in webcam **/
    -- Kubuntu 9.04, CentOs 5.2, Mikrotik RouterOS 3.3 User -- Argentina LoCo Team

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

In gnome, under the battery tab in power preferences, the only setting for this is to select shutdown for when "battery is critically low." Not sure how low, but I believe this will do the trick for ya.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

any conclusive answer on making the system go down once the charge reaches below some X%???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hit Alt-F2 and type gconf-editor. Then navigate to /apps/gnome-power-manager/general and uncheck "use_time_for_policy". Then, navigate to /apps/gnome-power-manager/thresholds and set the various "percentage_*" values to whatever you like. After that, the actions set in the gnome-power-manager application should use your percentages rather than its internal "time left" to trigger.
    Don't try to make something "fast" until you are able to quantify "slow".

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by sdennie View Post
    Hit Alt-F2 and type gconf-editor. Then navigate to /apps/gnome-power-manager/general and uncheck "use_time_for_policy". Then, navigate to /apps/gnome-power-manager/thresholds and set the various "percentage_*" values to whatever you like. After that, the actions set in the gnome-power-manager application should use your percentages rather than its internal "time left" to trigger.
    Un grosso!
    /**HP Pavilion DV6646us laptop: AMD 1.9 GHz Turion 64 X2 / 2Gb RAM / 160Gb HDD / NVIDIA GeForce Go 7150M / 15.4" WXGA / BroadCom BCM4328 wireless / Built-in webcam **/
    -- Kubuntu 9.04, CentOs 5.2, Mikrotik RouterOS 3.3 User -- Argentina LoCo Team