Thread: secondary hard drive..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

secondary hard drive..

Hey there I have two questions really.

Could any one try and tell me as simply as possible how to go about the following please.

I have an empty 200gb hard drive formatted as NTFS that I wish to install into my machine using a SATA cable (not sure if the SATA bit is relevant)but....

Will my machine automatically see this as an internal drive or a mountable device?. How would I go about making my machine recognise it instantly as an internal hard drive?.

Secondly the 200gb drive is bigger then the drive I have in my machine currently so I wish to transfer the data from the smaller (160gb again SATA drive) to the 200gb and make this my home drive if that makes sense.
    I have been told I will have to format the 200gb to ext3 so...

How do I go about reformating to ext3 and then making this my home drive?.

I really am a real beginner so any help in simple laymens terms would be really very much appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: secondary hard drive..

Connect the drive, install Gparted onto your Ubuntu, and then use Gparted to format the disk as ext3.

It will appear in your Places menu as a mountable disk, but you might find that your user doesn't have permission to write to it. If this happens, open a root file browser, find the disk's mount point in /media (it's usually /media/disk) and change the permissions so that "others" can read and write to it.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: secondary hard drive..

Then when Gparted has completed the formatting have a look at this to move /home across to the new HDD: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome
    Keep Ubuntu free! Donate any amount you like – just use the PayPal donation address donations@ubuntu.com