Page 89 of 90 FirstFirst ... 397987888990 LastLast

Thread: ATi Open drivers are coming of age... :)

Beans

Re: ATi Open drivers are coming of age... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucradia View Post
    glad to see the topic title FINALLY got a spell check. Hated that "comming"
    For my pleasure, I added some more m's for you.

By the way, I edited that ages ago, so you are falling down on your self appointed job of being a nit picking critic.
    Last edited by handy; August 17th, 2011 at 04:44 PM.

Beans

My (not a benchmark) glxgears speeds keep on creeping up with each upgrade of the git driver stack.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    My (not a benchmark) glxgears speeds keep on creeping up with each upgrade of the git driver stack.
    I've been doing infrequent benchmarks and FWIW, the PTS Urban Terror benchmark improved from 43 fps (default fedora 15) to 47 fps (git snapshot on August 8th) which is something like a 9% gain over the last few months.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JDShu View Post
    I've been doing infrequent benchmarks and FWIW, the PTS Urban Terror benchmark improved from 43 fps (default fedora 15) to 47 fps (git snapshot on August 8th) which is something like a 9% gain over the last few months.
    I should run the PTS again & see what it has to say. I've picked up around 420fps on glxgears in less than 2 months. I don't really play games on this box, though I tried to play Sacred Gold, & have problems due to the 3D demands, so I used to use (motherboard finally died) box2. with an AGP nVidia 7950GT/256, which does/did the job with all settings maxed out.

Beans

I had Radeon Mobility HD 3670 in my Dell XPS 1640 I installed FGLRX driver from HardWare > Additional Drivers and it worked like a charm.

I did check it MeerKat.

description: VGA compatible controller
    product: Radeon Mobility HD 3670
    vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
    version: 00
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
    configuration: driver=fglrx_pci latency=0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

The biggest issue I see with ATI curently is hardware acceleration with movie players. Currently my 1015B ASUS EeePC can't use h/w acceleration due to this issue, OTOH, its far easier to set nvidia up for h/w acceleration in Ubuntu. The AMD Ontario does represent the best value in netbooks compared to usual Intel offerings. I am sincerely hoping that this issue will be sorted out in near future. I have no desire to run the slow Win7 that my netbook came with, have been a Linux user all my life.

Beans

my ati 3670 and 4670 are working just fine with propriety drivers activated with meerkat.

Beans

11.04 with ATI Radeon HD 5740.

The open source drivers with unity cook the CPU and the fans are on high all the time. The proprietary drivers run much cooler but compiz + the "classic" desktop is unusable.

The proprietary drivers have numerous problems with unity including weird artifacts on the screen. The config applet requires a reboot every time you plug in a monitor or take one away and requires you to run them as root for most cases. Utterly ridiculous in this day and age. When you launch apps the screen flickers and shows lines in both unity and classic with or without compiz.

The open source drivers work well except for cooking the laptop which is terrible for both battery life and longevity.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: ATi Open drivers are comming of age... :)

I stick with Intel video for laptops, and Nvidia for desktops. Much better support, and never had a problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thumbs up Re: ATi Open drivers are coming of age... :)

Quote Originally Posted by lpwaqas View Post
    my ati 3670 and 4670 are working just fine with propriety drivers activated with meerkat.
    Good show; as of September 2011, 10.10 Maverick's Kernel 2.6.35 is available as a backport to 10.04.3-LTS Lucid. Due to an anticipated need for 256-bit VRAM (but not necessarily the fastest clocks), I have decided to fish up the recently-discontinued Gigabyte® GV-R485 series (ATi® Radeon HD 4850 family/R770 GPU) on eBay® to see what models can fit one slot (leaving one slot open betwixt the PCI-Express x16, where the card will attach to the system, and the #2 "legacy" PCI 2.0 slot, where a Creative Laboratories® SB0350 audio card resides, to allow airflow to the R485's fan and GPU heat sink), and at what cost range(s).

Although Advance Micro Devices® supports the Radeon HD 6000 Series in Catalyst Control Center (package: fglrx-amdcccle) as of September 2011, the GA-MA78GM-S2HP in my hybrid Everex®, due to BIOS limitations, cannot, so I'm limited to types already supported with X.org open-source drivers anyway.
    nVIDIA® nForce® chipsets require discrete GPU's up to Pascal and appropriate nVIDIA Kernel modules.
    Most intel® ExpressSets™ and AMD® RS-Series are fully supported in open source.

Page 89 of 90 FirstFirst ... 397987888990 LastLast