Page 3 of 90 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: ATi Open drivers are coming of age... :)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: ATi Open drivers are comming of age... :)

Personally, I'm sick of the catalyst driver. 1 month everything works fine and the next nothing works. Why the hell can't they support the newest kernel like nvidia does? Bought an ati card, because amd never let me down earlier and I always support the underdog + you get most bang for your buck with ati cards. Can't afford nvidia's prices.

But it's nice to hear the good news about the open driver these days.
    Ubuntu Unofficial Click And Run Software | Ubuntu Gamers Arena
    -----------------------------------
    A Hooker From Minneapolis

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Unfortunately my Mobility Radeon HD 3400 in 3D is only supported for proprietary drivers. Accelerated 2D support is available. But at the rate that development is happening, a working FOSS driver should be available within 1 year.

Edit: Just read some info, it says that they've got 3D support for my hardware but it's very buggy right now... looks like it might be sooner than I thought.
    Last edited by tom66; August 14th, 2009 at 11:11 AM.
    Lucid Beta 2 powered Studio 15 (Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz, 3 GB RAM, HD 3450) & Windows XP powered Scaleo E (Celeron D 3.06GHz, 1.5GB RAM, Intel GMA 915G). Please see Ubuntu Tutorials (my YouTube channel).

Beans

Last edited by handy; August 15th, 2009 at 05:05 AM.

Beans

Catalyst 9.8, has been quite recently released.

It is working with the .30 kernel, without patches & is behaving much better than it has been lately.

It still has problems of course.

Many think it has been produced for the upcoming Ubuntu release?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

What about us obsolete folk?

I'm sitting on an x1400, and they've ditched me, rejected me for the younger model. I feel like an old worn out hoo... Won't go there. Anyways, I want proprietary support! Or atleast open the source code of the drivers so we can get some decent ones.

Beans

As previously stated in this thread; the open-source ATi driver development is moving fast.

There are links at the bottom of the first post which should hopefully verify that your card has an open-source future dawning soonish...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    As previously stated in this thread; the open-source ATi driver development is moving fast.

There are links at the bottom of the first post which should hopefully verify that your card has an open-source future dawning soonish...
    If soonish means by next summer, then you are correct. As for TVOut though, it is still unworkable in R500s. That means I have to reboot to winxp in order to make my presentations or watch video from my laptop on my TV.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ssri View Post
    If soonish means by next summer, then you are correct. As for TVOut though, it is still unworkable in R500s. That means I have to reboot to winxp in order to make my presentations or watch video from my laptop on my TV.
    I don't personally know when, soonish means what, & for which GPU?

All I know is that it is all in the works, not on the backboard.

I, as does most every other user of a Linux/BSD system endowed with an ATi GPU, live in perpetual hope, that the open-source solutions to our many GPU problems will appear today.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    I, as does most every other user of a Linux/BSD system endowed with an ATi GPU, live in perpetual hope, that the open-source solutions to our many GPU problems will appear today.
    I completely agree with you 100%. Although, my hope is tempered by a dash of realism . Still, the drivers are undoubtedly improving and have come a long way. Hopefully we ATI users will reach the promise land someday.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ssri View Post
    I completely agree with you 100%. Although, my hope is tempered by a dash of realism . Still, the drivers are undoubtedly improving and have come a long way. Hopefully we ATI users will reach the promise land someday.
    As previously stated, I no longer rely on the Catalyst drivers, as I don't need 3D on my Arch install, & the open-source drivers now provide me with the snappiest 2D the machine has ever experienced.

That change just happened one day.

I only use the public release packages not the pre-release versions.

The same thing is going to happen with 3D & the open-source drivers, it is already happening for some GPU's using the pre-release packages.

Page 3 of 90 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast