Page 88 of 90 FirstFirst ... 38788687888990 LastLast

Thread: ATi Open drivers are coming of age... :)

Beans

Re: ATi Open drivers are coming of age... :)

@GSF1200S: This is a thread dedicated to the AMD/ATi GPU open-source driver stack. If you come here & wave the nVidia flag, (even if you do have a little white flag waving at the same time) expect to get shot down.

If you like to get shot down, keep coming here & waving the flag, there are plenty of us who will enjoy the target practice...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    @GSF1200S: This is a thread dedicated to the AMD/ATi GPU open-source driver stack. If you come here & wave the nVidia flag, (even if you do have a little white flag waving at the same time) expect to get shot down.
    I find this fact ironic considering I own ATI products, but ok. All ive said is the truth, and if you wish to defame my character as an ad hominem attack to discredit my argument, go right ahead
    If you like to get shot down, keep coming here & waving the flag, there are plenty of us who will enjoy the target practice...
    All I did was said what I believe to be true. Call me a flag waving lemming if you will..
    Stop Trusted Computing! http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html
    Asus Rampage 2 Extreme/2.66GHz i7 Quad/6GB DDR3 1600MHz 8-8-8-24/2x Nvidia 9800GTX+
    2x150GB 10krpm HD/2x1TB 7200RPM HD/3ware RAID/
    Xubuntu 11.04/Arch Linux/Gentoo Linux/Fedora

Beans

Now you've gone & taken it personal. There is no need to do that. You aren't being personally attacked in anyway shape or form. It is only some of your ideas about something that some others don't agree with. So what? That's life, if we all agreed on everything then we may as well be Lemmings & go over the cliff in our case out of boredom.

(By the way, Lemmings got a bad rap there, they don't actually do that.)

Beans
    Distro

Now you've gone & taken it personal. There is no need to do that. You aren't being personally attacked in anyway shape or form. It is only some of your ideas about something that some others don't agree with. So what? That's life, if we all agreed on everything then we may as well be Lemmings & go over the cliff in our case out of boredom.

(By the way, Lemmings got a bad rap there, they don't actually do that.)
    Take what personal? Even if you were to straight out attack me, I wouldnt really care; obviously we both have opinions we are entitled to have and they differ from one another (though really, I never attacked ATI and you never degraded Nvidia yourself- what the hell are we even arguing for?). Again, I stated my case pertaining to Nvidia, defended when you mentioned me flag waving, and qualified the reasons why I felt it was necessary for me to say what I did. Were both are in the same boat ideologically- we just differ in terms of how we reason a company in a capitalistic society should operate (to survive) without being looked down upon.

Really, the basis of my message was simply that we comprise a very very small portion of Nvidia's business (same with ATI), and we shouldnt be quick to condemn their business practices when they have supported Linux quite well. Notice how Linux users didnt contribute a lot of development to Songbird (according to the devs of Songbird- they could be lying I suppose), and yet Linux users straight up flamed them when they dropped Linux support; I guess im trying to avoid that same attitude with a company who in this case has supported Linux very well. We need all the help we can get with so many things in this world working against the Linux software ecosystem. Most people would not complain if Adobe released Photoshop for Linux, and there is certainly nothing free about that

I didnt get my "feelings" hurt, but I am not going to lie down and be labeled without defending myself- I just reproached when personal statements, such as me being a flag waiver, were levied in my direction.

I used lemmings as term to attach some emotion to my inferred implication, but yeah, they dont really do that..

At least you like XFCE and we dont have to fight in that thread
    Asus Rampage 2 Extreme/2.66GHz i7 Quad/6GB DDR3 1600MHz 8-8-8-24/2x Nvidia 9800GTX+

Beans

Beans
    Distro

Good.
    Haha..

Beans

I fairly recently upgraded (on Arch) to the 3.0 kernel, & the associated AMD/ATi git packages.

I'm most impressed, as I picked up ~200fps on the (not a benchmark) glxgears. So that makes roughly 400fps over the last 6 weeks or so for my HD2600 Pro.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Talking Re: ATi Open drivers are coming of age... :)

Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk, nyuk, nyuk! I'm still awaiting word on a backport of Kernel 3.0 to Lucid, as improved drivers for the Advance Micro Devices® Radeon HD series at least through the 5000's will improve my current HD 3200's handling of GPU code a fair amount. My hybrid Everex® packs a Gigabyte MA78GM-S2HP mobo (in for an all-VIA® stock mobo using a 1.6 GHz C7-D) with and AMD® Athlon 64® X2 5600+ with 4 GB RAM; the 780G north bridge and Radeon HD 3200 GPU handle things pretty well for an OEM-type rig. And, if it drives the relatively anemic 3200 to good speeds, I can reckon how it would fly an HD 5830, provided that I send an Antec® TPN-750B (which packs 25A capacity on each of four +12VDC busses, plus 180W combined power output for +5VDC and +3.3VDC) in for the Everex'® current 500W Athena® PSU (which has insufficient PCIe auxiliary wattage available).

Of course, I was not expecting nVIDIA® to do likewise for older GeForce® GPU's---my rebuild of an eMachines®/Acer® EL1210 still requires drivers without the kernel to run a planar 8200 and PCIe-expansion 210, as the kernel alone only drives the 8200, leaving the 210 high and dry.
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2HP / AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+
    Audio: Creative Laboratoies SB0350/SB0250 (PCI)
    Video: Diamond Radeon HD 5450 (PCIe x16)

Beans

Does the open-source driver work with more than two monitors? I use three, that's why i'm wondering.

Beans
    Hidden!

glad to see the topic title FINALLY got a spell check. Hated that "comming"
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

Page 88 of 90 FirstFirst ... 38788687888990 LastLast