Page 80 of 90 FirstFirst ... 30707879808182 ... LastLast

Thread: ATi Open drivers are coming of age... :)

Beans

Re: ATi Open drivers are coming of age... :)

Quote Originally Posted by JDShu View Post
    Hmm, do you use a CRT monitor? As far as I know, *all* LCDs are 60 Hz.
    Nope, there are 120Hz models (TVs and monitors). There are 75Hz moels as well, but they display at 60Hz so dont count.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cascade9 View Post
    Nope, there are 120Hz models (TVs and monitors). There are 75Hz moels as well, but they display at 60Hz so dont count.
    Ah ok, fair enough. Are these widespread? I haven't heard of them until now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ah ok, fair enough. Are these widespread? I haven't heard of them until now.
    I have a 120.
    Their not quite widespread, the one my cousin has is a 60, as with the former LG 1080p monitor I had. Also, my TV is 60hz.
    Ubuntu Forums Moderation Staff
    Okay then. We're relying on mirror dust and fairies but now we have a plan which is progress - Emma

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
    I have a 120.
    Their not quite widespread, the one my cousin has is a 60, as with the former LG 1080p monitor I had. Also, my TV is 60hz.
    Heeh, learn something every day. How's the performance?

Also:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=ODk5OQ

Covers the optimizations that are being started

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by I_can_see_the_light View Post
    The reason I'm asking is because Kwin is running unacceptably slow with desktop effects enabled, things are a little bit better with Compiz so that's what I'm using right now but any sort of 3d stuff seem to slow the system down to a crawl.

Code:
    glxinfo | grep -i opengl
    OpenGL vendor string: DRI R300 Project
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R300 (RV380 3150) 20090101 x86/MMX/SSE2 TCL DRI2
    OpenGL version string: 1.5 Mesa 7.7.1
    OpenGL extensions:
    With PCLinuxOS the performance is really good and I noticed that they are using an older version of Mesa, 7.5.x I think, and an older version of xorg-server as well.
    An update on this. I haven't got around to test the xorg-edgers ppa yet but last week I gave Chakra a test run from a live CD and guess what, 3D performance was fine! Chakra 0.3.0 runs on Mesa 7.7.1, Linux kernel 2.6.35 and xorg-server 1.7.7.

My Kubuntu install runs on Mesa 7.7.1, Linux kernel 2.6.32 and xorg-server 1.7.6. I tried using a backported kernel from Maverick (2.6.35) but that didn't make any difference. Then I thought it could be because of KMS, because in PCLOS KMS isn't active, but I then found out that Chakra has KMS activated so now it's back to square one.

Could it be a problem with the packaging (in either Ubuntu or Debian) of the R300 driver? Can't see what else it could be?
    "You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself."
    -- Sam Levenson
    Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E8020D | Triple booting CrunchBang, Ubuntu and Windows 7

Beans

There are more files involved than just mesa.

I think that if you use the xorg-edgers ppa, & use a late kernel you will get past this problem.

(I've been using kernel .37 since the day it became available with not a problem - its currently up to rc8.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    There are more files involved than just mesa.

I think that if you use the xorg-edgers ppa, & use a late kernel you will get past this problem.

(I've been using kernel .37 since the day it became available with not a problem - its currently up to rc8.)
    You're probably right, though I find it a little peculiar that things are working so much better in the two distros I mentioned earlier. I will try the xorg-edgers ppa when I have the time.

As a side note, I disabled KMS at boot time and the speed increase in glxgears was tenfold, however I got a hard freeze after a little while so I didn't get to try it for long.
    "You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself."
    -- Sam Levenson
    Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E8020D | Triple booting CrunchBang, Ubuntu and Windows 7

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by I_can_see_the_light View Post
    You're probably right, though I find it a little peculiar that things are working so much better in the two distros I mentioned earlier. I will try the xorg-edgers ppa when I have the time.
    I'm running Arch 64bit; haven't been a true Ubuntu user since Dapper as Edgy was buggy on my system so I moved on. The bugs are not a problem now, but I'm more at home using a different distro.

The community here is great, & Ubuntu is a terrific distro for all kinds of uses. So I still hang around some.

Beans

Also:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=ODk5OQ

Covers the optimizations that are being started
    Wait am I reading correctly: MESA which is suppose to be a backend for CPU to do 3D rendering if only it was fast enough, is getting optimizations for a GPU?
    Why is this not done on the Gallium stack instead?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by del_diablo View Post
    Wait am I reading correctly: MESA which is suppose to be a backend for CPU to do 3D rendering if only it was fast enough, is getting optimizations for a GPU?
    Why is this not done on the Gallium stack instead?
    Gallium is part of mesa.

Page 80 of 90 FirstFirst ... 30707879808182 ... LastLast