Page 61 of 90 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast

Thread: ATi Open drivers are coming of age... :)

Beans

Re: ATi Open drivers are coming of age... :)

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusW View Post
    I never found a working solution for 1080p while I was using ATI (HD4850), and I always had screen tearing while playing videos. I think decoding 1080p is under "Video Decode (XvMC/VDPAU/VA-API)" on the page http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature, and it's either "N/A" or "TODO" so I wouldn't count on it right now.
    Running 3460 mobile I can testify that i have never experienced video tearing on my laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've never had tearing using the oss drivers either. (although I only started using them somewhat recently.)

fglrx however I have never NOT had tearing
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Never noticed tearing with my ATI cards either.

As for the driver in general- the problem I see is performance/bugs being unevenly distributed among cards. For instance, I have an X800XT with an EXTREMELY FAST bootup/shutdown time and fair 3d performance (10 or so FPS on FlightGear, on Google Earth I guess around 15). However, my Xpress 200M on my old laptop has poor performance (4 FPS on FlightGear, probably 4 or 6 on Google Earth- not that Google Earth frame rates matter anyway, a perspective bug makes it unusable) and is LOADED with bugs. KMS/modesetting is broken, so there's a 1 in 8 chance it will actually start up properly (i.e. WITHOUT random stipple patterns on the boot splash and X). At least suspend works properly
    Running Ubuntu 10.04 on a Toshiba Satellite A505. You will not BELIEVE all the problems I have with it. But hey, that's all part of the fun! Even if fixing something does take hours...

Beans

Thermal Monitoring Comes To Newer Radeon DRM
    Posted by Michael Larabel on June 01, 2010

Over the past few days we have had a number of new open-source ATI Radeon support upbringings to report on including the ATI R600/700 Gallium3D driver being merged, voltage control for managing the power on newer ATI GPUs, and the ATI Radeon HD 5000 series Mesa code coming soon, but the slew of open-source ATI news is not over yet.

Read on:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=ODMxMQ

Beans

Some people are finding that the most recent Catalyst release has a memory leak?

Check it out?

[Edit:] htop is good for observing such problems.
    Last edited by handy; June 11th, 2010 at 03:34 AM.

Beans

Hi again. Can someone help me with this please. As previously mentioned and discussed, I bought this AGP card http://www.hisdigital.com/un/product2-448.shtml and this adapter (DVI to S-video) http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9...co=MTA4NDU1Mjc .

People told me that if I were able to find an adapter from DVI to S-Video it would probably work. However, I get no picture on my old CRT TV. The TV detects some signal because it changes mode, but no real picture is to be seen. In the Monitor Preferences the Adapter+TV combo is detected as "Monitor: Apple Computer Inc 10" ". I have tried playing around with the resolution and the frequency (56Hz and 60Hz) in all possible configurations (only a few) but no luck. What can I do?

My setup is the following:

Lucid Lynx
    Kernel 2.6.35rc3-maverick
    PPA-xorg-edgers repos added
    updated and upgraded

Beans

r300g performance

Lately Marek Olšák has been focusing on r300g performance. He did a bunch of commits the last days that remove useless code and duplicated security checks. While doing so he also wrapped some debugging code to be enabled/disabled at compile time.

When a developer is focusing on performance this is generally a good sign, because it basically means that the groundwork is done.

On his way he also rewrote occlusion queries. The following commit line shows his intention:

This fixes flickering in Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. The driver now renders everything correctly in this game and the graphics is awesome.

I'll most likely grab myself a copy of the Enemy Territory: Quake Wars demo and test his latest achievements.

http://tirdc.livejournal.com/27350.html

Beans

Man. I definitely agree that in 2D the open-source drivers are incredible! It is subtle, but everything seems smoother than ever. Nice.

Now, if somebody would only help me to get my S-Video going....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    r300g performance

Lately Marek Olšák has been focusing on r300g performance. He did a bunch of commits the last days that remove useless code and duplicated security checks. While doing so he also wrapped some debugging code to be enabled/disabled at compile time.

When a developer is focusing on performance this is generally a good sign, because it basically means that the groundwork is done.

On his way he also rewrote occlusion queries. The following commit line shows his intention:

This fixes flickering in Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. The driver now renders everything correctly in this game and the graphics is awesome.

I'll most likely grab myself a copy of the Enemy Territory: Quake Wars demo and test his latest achievements.

http://tirdc.livejournal.com/27350.html
    Yeah I've noticed that he's been committing a whole lot lately. I think I'm going to get a radeon card soon once I muster up the funds.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JDShu View Post
    Yeah I've noticed that he's been committing a whole lot lately. I think I'm going to get a radeon card soon once I muster up the funds.
    Just curious - what GPU do you use now ?

I am trying to adapt the switcheroo functionality in here on Ubuntu Lucid with Asus M51TR notebook with hd3200/hd3470 adapters and am following a guide to compile the kernel from gid:
    http://blog.avirtualhome.com/2010/05...-lucid-kernel/
    When I checkout 2.6.35rc3-maverick and /as there is switcheroo support since 2.6.34/ and when I change the configuration with "debian/rules editconfigs" on the top of the window is 2.6.32... and there is no option "Device Drivers -> Graphics support -> Laptop Hybrid Graphics - VGA Switcheroo". Any ideas ? Is there shorter way to recompile the 2.6.35 kernel with such functionality and is there a how-to or guide how to do it. Thanks in advance.

Page 61 of 90 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast