Page 53 of 90 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread: ATi Open drivers are coming of age... :)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: ATi Open drivers are coming of age... :)

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    All part of the fun & games of playing on the bleeding edge.

My machine freezes every couple of days due to all the dev' packages & kernel I'm running to satisfy my desire to play this game with the ATi OSS drivers. (It has only happened 3 times) I can live with that until I get an upgrade that will fix it, though I expect you'll be dumping that kernel pretty quick.
    Yeah I am back to rc6 for now and am anticipating 2.6.35. My main problem with linux is vid drivers so the main reason I am running ubuntu right now it to see the oss driver progress so I can know when itll actually be able to run properly on my laptop someday lol.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by screaminj3sus View Post
    Yeah I am back to rc6 for now and am anticipating 2.6.35. My main problem with linux is vid drivers so the main reason I am running ubuntu right now it to see the oss driver progress so I can know when itll actually be able to run properly on my laptop someday lol.
    Ubuntu is not necessarily the ideal distro for your purpose, I would suggest Arch if it meets your other requirements as it is bleeding edge to start with & there is a great bunch of guys that have been on the ATi GPU OSS case for quite some time.

There are pre-compiled repo's (specifically for this ATi GPU situation) with the most current packages & kernels (tested first before inclusion) & continual feedback in the specific topic thread, the first post of the thread is kept up to date on the situation in a how-to kind of way:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=79509&p=1

Arch is different though, generally people either love it or get out of there pretty quick. The steepest part of the learning curve is the installation & setup of your system, after that the more you do it the better & easier it gets.

Beans

BigLouis87: try "su" and then "echo X > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_state"
    make sure X is a valid status id!

My card has only status 0 and 1, so X can only be 0 or 1. (see below?)
    mmmh... I don't have "power_state"!:
    Code:
    cat /sys/class/drm/card0/device/
    boot_vga                  drm/                      msi_bus                   resource1
    broken_parity_status      enable                    power/                    resource2
    class                     firmware_node/            remove                    rom
    config                    graphics/                 rescan                    subsystem/
    consistent_dma_mask_bits  irq                       reset                     subsystem_device
    device                    local_cpulist             resource                  subsystem_vendor
    dma_mask_bits             local_cpus                resource0                 uevent
    driver/                   modalias                  resource0_wc              vendor
    and under "power" there is only "control" (set "on") and "wakeup". Can you tell me why??
    However dmesg say that I have 4 powersteps (with fglrx I had only 3... wow!)
    Do I have to disable dynpm in the option of the module?
    Thank you

PS: When I'll have some time I'll retry to reinstall Arch... it will be the third time!
    Last edited by BigLouis87; May 5th, 2010 at 02:11 AM.

Beans

@BigLouis87: Sorry, I'm out of my depth. As previously mentioned the card in my iMac is not responding to the PM as other GPUs of the same model, so I haven't had any first hand experience of being able to fiddle with the settings.

See what you can scroogle up on the subject on the web.

Good luck & let us know what you find out please?

Re. Arch installation, follow the Beginners' Guide to the letter & check the Arch forum for any problems post there if you need to.

These days beyond a very obscure wireless network situation there isn't much in the way of obstructions that are insurmountable re. the install.
    Last edited by handy; May 5th, 2010 at 02:18 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This is awesome.

Any chance older cards (my x200m) will get support?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by prions View Post
    This is awesome.

Any chance older cards (my x200m) will get support?
    This is posted in the first post:

http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thats awesome! Lets hope they turn out to be great.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ubuntu is not necessarily the ideal distro for your purpose, I would suggest Arch if it meets your other requirements as it is bleeding edge to start with & there is a great bunch of guys that have been on the ATi GPU OSS case for quite some time.

There are pre-compiled repo's (specifically for this ATi GPU situation) with the most current packages & kernels (tested first before inclusion) & continual feedback in the specific topic thread, the first post of the thread is kept up to date on the situation in a how-to kind of way:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=79509&p=1

Arch is different though, generally people either love it or get out of there pretty quick. The steepest part of the learning curve is the installation & setup of your system, after that the more you do it the better & easier it gets.
    I tried arch and got it all installed fine but I thought simple things like getting wireless to work are just too much of a hassle and couldn't getting it to work the way i wanted (didnt find any of the arch documentation in this area very helpful).. I like bleeding edge but I also hate having to every single little tiny thing manually.

I really like the idea of its rolling update model, but I cant stand not having such basic things having to be configured manually.
    Last edited by screaminj3sus; May 5th, 2010 at 04:36 AM.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This is posted in the first post:

http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature

While I think my card is supported, is there any way to check? I'm not familiar with their naming system (r200, r300, etc). Its a legacy card so I'm not sure.

Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by prions View Post
    While I think my card is supported, is there any way to check? I'm not familiar with their naming system (r200, r300, etc). Its a legacy card so I'm not sure.

Thanks.
    It looks like it is an R300, from what I gather it is a bit different, it is not listed on any of the pages where I go to check on this kind of stuff, but I see that it may be similar to an X300 chip.

Sorry I can't be of more help on that one.

Page 53 of 90 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast