Page 5 of 90 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: ATi Open drivers are coming of age... :)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: ATi Open drivers are comming of age... :)

On my 4850 the drivers from ATI/AMD website are super fast and rock solid.
    The drivers Ubuntu says are proprietary and wants to install after installing ubuntu are complete garbage. IF those drivers are from ATI then they must be old. Very old..

Catalyst drivers from ATI tho, running 9.8 on 2.6.30.5 kernel. Super Fast and Rock Solid!
    Linux User: 380654
    CIW Certified Internet Web Professional: 435668

Beans

Of late, the versions of kernel & Catalyst have been critical. If you don't have a matching pair you are in trouble, if you do have a matching pair you are in a lot less, just how much less all comes down to the particular pair.

We have been finding that regression is unfortunately far too often a part of the Catalyst progression.

Meaning, empirically people are experiencing the situation where a not perfect, but still a happy working situation, can be shot to pieces by the next Catalyst (or kernel, or X.server) upgrade!?
    Last edited by handy; September 7th, 2009 at 03:49 AM.

Beans

I have as of today done a fresh install of Jaunty with the latest drivers from amd's ati site and so far it seems to be a lot better (before my pc would totaly freeze up half the time, been about 3 hours now and not a single lockup, things are looking up ). I hope i don't jinx this heh.

I think as someone said before through the hardware drivers manager it must have a quite old version of the ati drivers, i think that is actually what caused my freezing issues before!
    Last edited by ELD; September 9th, 2009 at 01:04 AM.

Beans

Catalyst 9.10 leaked, is being installed & tested by some Arch users.

At this early stage it has been found to be better in some areas, worse than 9.8 in others.

Beans

I wonder if the new Catalyst will work with my 200m.

I don't suppose they'd re-add support for older hardware after they've already removed it.

If they did re-add support, maybe it would fix this odd problem http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1251849

Beans

I'd certainly be extremely surprised if they add support for something that they have previously stopped supporting.

Beans

Reportedly Flash is still as bad or worse than it was with Catalyst 9.8.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloX View Post
    I Didn't want to reward Nvidia by buying more of their defective designs.
    I don't blame you for being upset with your HW going bad. I would be too.
    But unless you have some scientific data to support a known design flaw in a specific product, I wouldn't go rambling around about it.

I think you were a victim of rotten luck for sure. But would question if this is a common trait of the 7950 Gx2 product line or perhaps the outcome of improper cooling or power supply, rather than chucking it up as Nvidia's product somehow being flawed.

I have an Nvidia 4200 (from 2002), a 7600, 9500 & 9600 that are working just fine.

I did have an Nvidia Quadro m135 take a crap on a laptop, but I know for a fact that met its death due to over heating, and I consider that my fault because I noticed too late that the fan for the card was clogged with dust. I've managed to kill a few procs that way as well...

Just a heads up... if you are taking care of all that then, yeah it sucks to have rotten luck... but if you have some concrete proof that Nvidia designs nothing but flawed products... lets have the test data. I genuinely want to see it.
    OpenGEU 8.10 Luna Serena 64bit
    AMD Athlon-X2 6000+ / 8gb DDR2-800 RAM / Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H / Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT / 640gb HD
    Acer Aspire 6530 : AMD Athlon X2 / 3gb DDR2-667 RAM / ATI HD3200 / 250gb HD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    Reportedly Flash is still as bad or worse than it was with Catalyst 9.8.
    I wasn't aware that flash used 3d acceleration.

That said, flash is bad on anything and worse on everything
    OpenGEU 8.10 Luna Serena 64bit
    AMD Athlon-X2 6000+ / 8gb DDR2-800 RAM / Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H / Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT / 640gb HD
    Acer Aspire 6530 : AMD Athlon X2 / 3gb DDR2-667 RAM / ATI HD3200 / 250gb HD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

The proprietary ones for ubuntu were giving me trouble in 9.04 but the newest opensource one is quite good... Seen huge improvments in it and its doing great... Cant even really tell difference any more... I give it another 6 months or so and ATI opensource drivers will be amazing. Opensource ATI drivers are coming along very nicely!
    Current Ubuntu Version: Ubuntu 18.04 X64
    Ubuntu User for 10+ Years...
    Phone: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 on Android O

Page 5 of 90 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast