Page 40 of 90 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: ATi Open drivers are coming of age... :)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: ATi Open drivers are comming of age... :)

The open source drivers on cause my system to overheat quite badly. Now that 10.04 has the fglrx drivers I've tested and confirmed that the issue is related to the open source drivers. Basically, with fglrx drivers my system runs at around 35c - 40c, but with the open source drivers the coolest it gets is 50c but it often goes even higher.

Does anyone have any information about this? A Google search didn't really return any helpful results.

Edit: my GPU is Mobility Radeon HD 3650
    Last edited by Untitled_No4; March 24th, 2010 at 11:58 PM.

Beans

Power management for the ATi GPUs has only just started to be implemented with kernel .34, & it is working, though not completely at this stage. So the solution is on the way, I expect Ubuntu will have it by 10.10. hopefully.

Beans

Woah, AMD Releases OpenGL 4.0 Linux Support!

Posted by Michael Larabel on March 25, 2010

Woah, here comes a pleasant surprise from AMD with their Catalyst Linux driver. AMD yesterday released a Catalyst 10.3 Linux driver that really didn't bring anything too exciting (and it still doesn't support X.Org Server 1.7), but today they've delivered a new preview driver that's based on Catalyst 10.3 and it brings OpenGL 3.3/4.0 support!

For more:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=ODEwMQ

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!
    Facebook, Apple, Google, corrupt governments, the ISP's and Telco's
    can be beaten at their own game by free and open source software.
    Here's how. (Extra credit)

Beans
    Hidden!

ATI Open-Source drivers

I installed ati open-source drivers yesterday on my ATI 4570 on Kubuntu 10.04, Man this thing has improved so much. I didn't consider using the open-source instead of catalyst until now, last time I tried it (several months ago) I found flaws which I didn't like. But this, lol... my desktop is so snappy, I'm not used to this experience even with my catalyst.

I don't know whether its due to the new kernel/kde 4.4.1 or whatever, but this thing is fast. Everything is millisecond responsive. I have tried 1080p flash video, I can't believe its more responsive than Catalyst... wtf, lol.

glxgears shows 730 FPS with composition enabled, that's nearly three times less than catalyst, but this driver is so much more responsive, don't know why. glxinfo:
    OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R600 (RV710 9553) 20090101 TCL DRI2
    OpenGL version string: 1.5 Mesa 7.7.1-DEVEL

I just tried two games (Heroes of Newerth and Savage 2), they don't run. So basically that's the major downside of this driver. So I advice those who don't play such heavy games to install the open-source drivers instead, you wont' regret:
    sudo aptitude install xserver-xorg-video-ati

Beans

Re: ATI Open-Source drivers

I can't get any compositing enabled on 10.04 at the moment - ati 9600XT, so you can count yourself lucky!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by mintochris View Post
    I can't get any compositing enabled on 10.04 at the moment - ati 9600XT, so you can count yourself lucky!
    First time I installed it (yesterday) I couldn't enable composition either, I thought it didn't support it. It was due to fglrx not being removed properly I think, or due to me install everything in terminal. I went into terminal and erased every trace of fglrx and the open-source drivers, then I installed it again. Now it works perfect.

Went to /usr/share/ati and sudo sh fglrx-uninstall.sh

Also sudo aptitude purge fglrx xserver-xorg-video-ati

When removing fglrx, it noted that the directories of ati were not empty, so it won't remove them, I rm -rf'd them all, then

Also sudo aptitude install xserver-xorg-video-ati

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've noticed a vast improvement as well. I have a HD3450 in my Laptop, and that now runs much better with the Open Source Drivers. The HD4870 in my Desktop also appears to be better as well.

Now all I need is a fix for Flash + Compositing and I'd be very happy.

Beans

I've had a thread running on this topic since last August:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1238129

& I agree the improvements just keep on coming. I'm using kernel .34-git the other required packages are -git also. Power management is being implemented in kernel .34, which is nice.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    [I]Woah, AMD Releases OpenGL 4.0 Linux Support!
    Just so I understand the announcement ... these changes are NOT to the open source drivers, right?
    Ubuntu 14.04, Mint 17; MS Win 8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Page 40 of 90 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast