Page 4 of 90 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: ATi Open drivers are coming of age... :)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: ATi Open drivers are comming of age... :)

nutkinnz waz ere' init
    Last edited by nomnomnom; August 23rd, 2009 at 03:45 PM.

Beans

Any chance that Karmic will have newer ATi 3D support? (I have a 3200HD.)

I refrained from installing the proprietary blob in Jaunty in hope that open source support would be ready for Karmic. Not sure if I can wait for the L release ...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yodermk View Post

I refrained from installing the proprietary blob in Jaunty in hope that open source support would be ready for Karmic. Not sure if I can wait for the L release ...
    I don't know, check out the links at the end of the first post in this thread, you should learn something useful with regard to the open-source drivers & your GPU, there.

Most people find the current Catalyst version 9.8 is reasonably good from what I read.

Quite a few people think that the reason the current Catalyst version is working better, is due the upcoming Ubuntu release.

Use Catalyst if you have to, to meet your 3D needs. Though the day is fast approaching when you won't need Catalyst.

It is wise to temper the above statement with an understanding for the range of various values that people will place on the pertinent variable "fast".
    Last edited by handy; August 31st, 2009 at 01:43 PM. Reason: disambiguation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

they better
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans

I'm on Ubuntu 9.04 with a Radeon 4770.
    My Nvidia Gforce 7950 GX2 which cost a gazillion burned out, exactly one month after my wifes identical card burned out.
    That's two Gazzilions out the windows after only 2½ years of use!
    I Didn't want to reward Nvidia by buying more of their defective designs.
    So we both went ATI, she use Ubuntu 8.10 because she need realtime Kernel.
    With the Nvidia Realtime didn't work unless she used Ubuntu 8.04, Ati was one step up in that regard.

For me I'm very happy, My computer is now almost completely silent, because the Radeon 4770 use very little power the fan doesn't have a lot of work to do. The card was cheap too, and works fine for games in Windows.

I installed latest ATI drivers at the time, and it works fine with Compiz.
    I don't do a lot of 3D stuff, but I haven't noticed any problems.

We both wanted to try ATI, especially because we hope the opened specs will help accelerate the development of good open source drivers.

I'm very happy to see this positive thread about it.
    http://www.buffalox.dk
    Warning may contain MS bashing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

... (I have a 3200HD.)
    Same here... I have 9.8 on my laptop and Compiz support isn't quite right yet. I have not tried any games on it though since I don't have a need to game on my laptop.
    OpenGEU 8.10 Luna Serena 64bit
    AMD Athlon-X2 6000+ / 8gb DDR2-800 RAM / Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H / Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT / 640gb HD
    Acer Aspire 6530 : AMD Athlon X2 / 3gb DDR2-667 RAM / ATI HD3200 / 250gb HD

Beans

Here is a quote from a post by Mazur in the Arch forums that may interest some of you:

I have installed mesa-git with xf86-video-ati-git and other packages and I need to say that I am looking forward to get full 3d support. It works awesome on simple games like supertux etc. but Quake Live still got bugs. I didn't tried Compiz. ANybody know if radeonhd-git works better? I got HD3200.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Over the years, I think ATi has proven itself time and time again to have better hardware than NVidia, but crappier drivers. This is true not only in linux space, but windows as well. ATi card owners can enjoy much longer performance lifespans with their cards because as the drivers mature, the cards perform better. At least, in windows, this has always been the case. NVidia's cards have more drastic decline over time in the performance market, and you will be replacing hardware more frequently for the next noticeable performance boost. Better ATI drivers, open or closed, is wonderful news, but even better because the progress is being seen in the open drivers.
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Beans

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    AMD/ATi have released Catalyst 9.10 for Ubuntu 9.10.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ka...er/008022.html
    Using it with my Karmic 64bit. I have the ATI Radeon HD3200 and seems to be running smooth. Played around with compiz some and all was good.
    'Hardware Drivers' installed fglrx, rebooted with out any drama.
    (Was)Windows Free At Last
    "May You Have A Safe Trip and A Successful Journey"
    Linux user #432153 Ubuntu user #8521

Page 4 of 90 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast