Page 2 of 90 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: ATi Open drivers are coming of age... :)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: ATi Open drivers are comming of age... :)

tormod volden ppa is excellent google it

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'm not sure why but my ATI 1950Pro 512mb from DaimondMM runs perfectly on Kubuntu 9.04 (performance, KWin effects, etc). Haven't tried any actual games yet because i haven't been able to get sound to work so i didn't wanna do too much to it before I did anything.

(also i have added no extra drivers..did a vanilla install of Kubuntu 9.04 and it works OoTB)

Glad to hear the ATI drivers are improving though as I am a huge ATI fan. With them releasing the specs on so many of their chipsets/GPU's it should help tremendously with the development of ATI drivers.
    Happy geeks are effective geeks!
    AMD Athlon II X2 250 (3.0ghz), Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P, 3GB Crucial DDR3-1066Mhz RAM, XFX ATI RadeonHD 5750 1GB GDDR5

Beans

I wish I could agree with this, but I find the total opposite to be true. I have been using bleeding edge Radeon OPSO drivers for about 3 months now and they have been pretty bad. They serve 2D ok, but for 3D they are useless. I know this will hopefully improve in the future, but at the minute they may as well just be called Compiz enablers.

Beans
    Hidden!

For a long time I used ATI open drivers and passed on 3D.
    When I needed 3D I had no choice but to go with NVidia despite hating binary blobs.
    Unfortunately, I would have had to use ATI's blob to get 3D and NVidia's was the lesser of two evils.
    This time, I'll wait until ATI's open drivers are ready before going with them again.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    For a long time I used ATI open drivers and passed on 3D.
    When I needed 3D I had no choice but to go with NVidia despite hating binary blobs.
    Unfortunately, I would have had to use ATI's blob to get 3D and NVidia's was the lesser of two evils.
    This time, I'll wait until ATI's open drivers are ready before going with them again.
    I can only hope that they improve to a level beyond the horrible Intel linux drivers.

Beans

I just read over on the Arch forums, that there was an update yesterday to the development drivers & people were commenting on the speed increase in 3D.

They are really happy with just how fast the dev's are working on this stuff.

Beans

I've been using the open source driver for the last few months because 1) There's no proprietary ATI driver for FreeBSD and 2) ATI dropped support for my card anyways, but overall I've been quite impressed. I've been getting better video performance with my Fbsd gnome + compiz setup than before with the closed source drivers. Although other than compiz I don't really need 3D as I don't play games or anything else of that nature.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    I just read over on the Arch forums, that there was an update yesterday to the development drivers & people were commenting on the speed increase in 3D.

They are really happy with just how fast the dev's are working on this stuff.
    how can we try this on ubuntu?
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by madjr View Post
    Someone else will have to give you that run down.

Personally, if you can, I'd wait a while, as, as far as 3D support is concerned you will most likely be disappointed; 2D is great, though it is possible that some ATi GPU's aren't supported, on this I can't say for sure.

The best I can do is tell you that I've not heard any complaints in the Arch thread in regard to 2D.

3D seems to be moving along quickly, but that "quickly" is a relative term, as it is closely bound with the perceptions of quality.

Some people are far more impatient than others...

The later posts in the link below will give you info' regarding what the Arch guys are using, how you deal with that in Ubuntu is your business, though I do ask, if anyone does apply those packages in Ubuntu, could you please post how you did it, & your experience here in this thread?

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=57084&p=1

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by madjr View Post
    You can check the latest of the latest from obtaining the source from git and compiling yourself

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...video-ati+slow

Tormod Voldon's packages tries to keep up with the latest developments:

https://launchpad.net/~tormodvolden/+archive/ppa

For more stable upstream releases try:

https://edge.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x...hive/x-updates

Page 2 of 90 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast