Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus T91 linux installation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Asus T91 linux installation

Hey Guys,
    i think i have managed to find a solution to the freezing problem when using the touchscreen. I don't want to speak too soon but it has been a few hours since and i have not had a crash, normally it would have crashed a bunch of times by now. I will post more detailed instructions on my blog but for the time being this is what i did.

I first un-installed the evtouch drivers via synaptic(obviously you only need to do this if you already installed them)

The simple t91, not the MT version, uses the IDEACOM IDC 6680 touchscreen. You can get the manufacturer drivers from http://www.ideacom.com.tw/en_home.htm

I then extracted the files from the archive and run(as per the installation procedure in the pdf):

sudo ./IDC_setup.sh

then reboot

after this the drivers will be in /usr/local/IDC at the terminal type:

cd /usr/local/IDC

then:

sudo calibration

then reboot

after this you will still experience the random freezes, to fix this do the following:

open a terminal and type:

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

find the line that has "SendCoreEvents" and change the value from "On" to "Off"

Save and then reboot

I imagine that you can do this with the evtouch drivers too but i don't have them installed now and this solution seems to be working for me, so if someone wants to try this solution with the evtouch drivers and let me know how it goes it would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: These instructions are for the simple t91 not the t91MT

EDIT: Just had another freeze, damn this is an annoying problem. The freezes seem less frequent now though.
    Last edited by jamespcole; January 29th, 2010 at 11:49 AM.

Beans

I'm not quite sure if this is the right place to post this. I recently got a t91mt and have been closely following this thread to get Ubuntu up and running on it. I have been largely successful for the most part and thank you all for your help. I do have one question, though. Has anyone here managed to get a palm rejection solution working for the touch screen? I have been trying to use Xournal and find it to be very difficult to use when my palm is resting on the screen. Thanks again for everyone participating in this thread, it has been a great help!

Beans

Is there an official write-up of how to set up that custom touch-screen driver for the T91MT? I can dig through the thread and get a pretty good idea of what to do, but if there's a wiki or something for this info, I'd rather try that first! My Linux skills are a bit rusty.

Also: how are my odds of getting this working on Jolicloud? If there's no chance, I may give Ubuntu NBR a try instead, but my understanding is that fewer things work out-of-the-box on the T91MT under Ubuntu NBR than do on Jolicloud. The touch screen, rotate button, and multi-touch trackpad are the only things NOT currently working on my machine. FN keys, wifi, bluetooth, SD card readers, etc. are all working GREAT.

Beans

Is 2Gb the maximum memory the T91MT can access, or has anyone had success with some of the newer, 4Gb, memory cards? Is this a hardward or software limitation?

Beans

Thanks to this thread I have managed to install most of what I needed!

I am having problems with Xournal, though - it works perfectly well with the
    screen in landscape mode, but not in portrait mode. I thought it was a general problem of
    the touchscreen not rotating properly, but now I realized that I can click the menus
    with no problem, it is inside the Xournal editing area that things get mixed up.

kgingeri, have you managed to use Xournal with the screen rotated?

I am running Karmic on the T91 (not MT) with the evtouch driver.

Beans

Hey guys, thanks so much for posting all this stuff. Between this thread and setupguides.blogspot.com, I've pretty much got everything working. I'm still having trouble though getting two-finger scrolling up and running, and everyone else here seems to have had no trouble getting that up and running. I was hoping maybe someone could give me some hints on how to debug this.

I'm running UNR Karmic on a T91MT. I applied the fixes for wifi, screen resolution, and the rotate button listed on setupguides.blogspot.com. Then I followed kgingeri's post #155, but with the tar from #171. I then downloaded and put the files from post #163 in place and changed my mouse settings. When I put two fingers on the screen, it looks like one is just ignored. It certainly doesn't scroll. When I put two fingers on the track pad to try scrolling, the mouse jumps around the screen at random.

I tried also using the fdi files from post #186 in case they were any different from those on post #163, and no luck. I even tried applying the grub changes from post #186 just in case. Still no multi-touch scrolling.

Any thoughts?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by RenataWas View Post
    Thanks to this thread I have managed to install most of what I needed!

I am having problems with Xournal, though - it works perfectly well with the screen in landscape mode, but not in portrait mode. I thought it was a general problem of the touchscreen not rotating properly, but now I realized that I can click the menus
    with no problem, it is inside the Xournal editing area that things get mixed up.

kgingeri, have you managed to use Xournal with the screen rotated?

I am running Karmic on the T91 (not MT) with the evtouch driver.
    Yupper! Use it all the time and for hours on end! Not sure what your issues are. (I am running the T91MT tho?)

BTW I keep upgrading my kernel (is it .18 now - at work so not sure) and did have trouble last time, but forgot about the
    Code:
    $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure psb-kernel-source
    $ sudo update-grub
    (at work and I forget it, it's mentioned in this thread a ways back) so I had trouble and ended up getting files from a dropbox repository someone had set up. But I am currently at work. If ppl are having issues, let me know and I'll look it up again and do a new post.

**** Definitely remember the "dpkg-reconfigure" command above when upgrading or you may be in for trouble! ***

Gotta try hibernate again - seems some have had luck with newer kernels and I haven't tried it lately.

EDIT: Updated proper command - hope I didn't lead too many astray with that!
    Also being at home now, I chaecked and am at ...-20 kernel...
    Code:
    $ uname -a
    Linux kgltnb 2.6.31-20-generic #57-Ubuntu SMP Mon Feb 8 09:05:19 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux
    UPDATE: No ACPI/suspend yet - don't get wireless back - have to reboot.
    Last edited by kgingeri; February 17th, 2010 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Corrected commands!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by psiegel View Post
    Hey guys, thanks so much for posting all this stuff. Between this thread and setupguides.blogspot.com, I've pretty much got everything working. I'm still having trouble though getting two-finger scrolling up and running, and everyone else here seems to have had no trouble getting that up and running. I was hoping maybe someone could give me some hints on how to debug this.

I'm running UNR Karmic on a T91MT. I applied the fixes for wifi, screen resolution, and the rotate button listed on setupguides.blogspot.com. Then I followed kgingeri's post #155, but with the tar from #171. I then downloaded and put the files from post #163 in place and changed my mouse settings. When I put two fingers on the screen, it looks like one is just ignored. It certainly doesn't scroll. When I put two fingers on the track pad to try scrolling, the mouse jumps around the screen at random.

I tried also using the fdi files from post #186 in case they were any different from those on post #163, and no luck. I even tried applying the grub changes from post #186 just in case. Still no multi-touch scrolling.

Any thoughts?
    Sorry, my mods are only for the touch-pad - not the screen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

About using EXT4 - I am running it fine.
    I've read that there is no problem running it on an SSD - google is your friend

I do get system busy lockups when running some FLASH based sites - to the point where response is so slow I have to do a hard power off! Stupid Flash!! I've now got Flash blockers loaded in my browsers (Firefox and Chrome)

EDIT: Flash will run ok - it's sites that have multiple embedded flash tags
    Last edited by kgingeri; February 16th, 2010 at 07:07 PM. Reason: spelling

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kgingeri View Post
    Sorry, my mods are only for the touch-pad - not the screen.
    Touch-pad would be great, but even that isn't working for me with your mods. Whenever I touch the touch-pad with both fingers, the mouse jumps around at random.

Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast