Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus T91 linux installation

Beans

Re: Asus T91 linux installation

Quote Originally Posted by kgingeri View Post
    EDIT: BTW I love UNR (Ubuntu Netbook Remix) - it works very nicely for me - however it WILL NOT run out-of-the-box on a T91, nothing does that I know of
    Is there a reason to prefer UNR over regular Ubuntu? My T91MT arrives Thursday so I'll be installing before the week is out!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by scottfranklin View Post
    Is there a reason to prefer UNR over regular Ubuntu? My T91MT arrives Thursday so I'll be installing before the week is out!!!
    It really 'boils down' to a personal preference, but being a user of linux since we had to piece X together on Slackware years ago, I have to say I like the way they utilize a small display and make it relatively easy to find stuff (your whole desktop becomes a launcher/menu - "netbook-launcher"). I do like the "maximus" addition as well (it puts apps as full screen as possible). And then the other main thing is the "go-home" applet that takes you back to your desktop/launcher.

One thing about Ubuntu that isn't great (and boy, is this another whole discussion!) is that they seem to roll-out updates for the sake of having an update and then things get broken. However, that's not too bad when you learn how to install backports etc

That's my 2 cents worth
    Last edited by kgingeri; March 4th, 2010 at 04:57 AM. Reason: speeling

Beans

being a user of linux since we had to piece X together on Slackware years ago
    I like to impress my students by telling them of my first Linux installation in 1993. From floppies. (Somewhere between 25-35 disks!)

I like the way they utilize a small display and make it relatively easy to find stuff (your whole desktop becomes a launcher/menu - "netbook-launcher"). I do like the "maximus" addition as well (it puts apps as full screen as possible). And then the other main thing is the "go-home" applet that takes you back to your desktop/launcher.
    Thanks. I'll give i a go tonight. My goal is to get a stable system by a conference starting in a week. Should be enough time, although I still have to prepare/teach classes, finish my talk, advise students. I.e., lots of things to put off while I tinker w/Ubuntu & my new toy.

scott

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

I like to impress my students by telling them of my first Linux installation in 1993. From floppies. (Somewhere between 25-35 disks!)

Thanks. I'll give i a go tonight. My goal is to get a stable system by a conference starting in a week. Should be enough time, although I still have to prepare/teach classes, finish my talk, advise students. I.e., lots of things to put off while I tinker w/Ubuntu & my new toy.

scott
    Ha ha - yeah, weren't CD's a life-saver!! I remember when it was only about 4 or 5 floppies - I think - it too long ago!

The only other one I'd consider is PCLinuxOS, BUT I have NO idea how well it plays with this machine. Also it not as user friendly and is KDE rather then Gnome based.
    Last edited by kgingeri; March 4th, 2010 at 06:45 PM.

Beans

And the fun begins. UNR installed, followed the various threads to get the appropriate screen resolution, but can't seem to get the touchscreen working. I installed the evtouch drivers but when I run calibrate_touchscreen from a terminal (Xwindows already killed) it can't open a display. When run from a terminal in X it reports that no evtouch devices are found.

Any tips?

Beans

I though evtouch did not work for the MT...

EDIT : forgot the "not" part.
    Last edited by Mizukusai; March 5th, 2010 at 12:12 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

And the fun begins. UNR installed, followed the various threads to get the appropriate screen resolution, but can't seem to get the touchscreen working. I installed the evtouch drivers but when I run calibrate_touchscreen from a terminal (Xwindows already killed) it can't open a display. When run from a terminal in X it reports that no evtouch devices are found.

Any tips?
    Scott, I won't be around much in the next several hours (not sure where you are - I am EST Canada). I started by following most of James' blog posts for November:

http://setupguides.blogspot.com/2009_11_01_archive.html

He has quite a few items that worked good for me.

I didn't actually use the calibrate utility (I had similar issues, in that X needed to be available but not running or something - can't remember), but my touch screen was good without it.

Check out the stuff on James' blog and see if it helps - I think most was posted in November but there may have been a post in December also (he does talk about using the utility)

I'll try to watch and give you help as I can.

EDIT: Here's a quick C program to test ev...save it as evtest.c...
    Code:
    // evtest.c --- test T91MT touchscreen

#include <sys/types.h>
    #include <fcntl.h>
    #include <linux/input.h>
    #include <stdio.h>
    #include <errno.h>

main(int argc, char **argv)
    {
        struct input_event ev;
        int fd;

if(!argv[1])
        {
    	printf("Using default device /dev/input/event6\ntouch screen for results...");
    	fd=open("/dev/input/event6",O_RDONLY);
        }
        else
    	fd=open(argv[1],O_RDONLY);

for (;;) {
            int r=read(fd,&ev,sizeof(struct input_event));

if (r==-1 && errno==EINTR) continue;
            if (r==-1) break;
            printf("Event: time %ld.%06ld, type %d, code %d, value %d\n",
                    ev.time.tv_sec, ev.time.tv_usec, ev.type, ev.code, ev.value);
        }
        perror("read");
        close(fd);
    }
    Compile it in Terminal with "cc evtest.c -o evtest" and then run "./evtest" @ cmd prompt. If I remember right, your event<n> may be different (edit in the source). I think mine was different from the authors (isn't my work and I can't remember where I got it) - use...
    Code:
    cat /proc/bus/input/
    to verify your touch screen device. (also "lsusb")

EDIT2: you may need to be root (use sudo) to run the evtest program.
    Last edited by kgingeri; March 4th, 2010 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Additional Info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Scott, it's been I while so hopefully I'm not leading you down the wrong paths here, but I also had to install or verify that the /etc/udev/rules.d/69-touchscreen.rules file looked like the following...(see my bolded area)...
    Code:
    # Evtouch udev.rules
    #
    # Because Evtouch can't autoprobe devices we assume that we only
    # Have one device so we can make it like this :P
    #
    # List here your touchscreen, check if it works  and send it to lifebook_AT_conan_DOT_de
    # Name can be found in /proc/bus/input/devices ('cat /proc/bus/input/devices')
    #

# Generic ts-adc touchscreen modules
    KERNEL=="event*", SUBSYSTEM=="input", ATTRS{name}=="ts-adc", SYMLINK+="input/evtouch_event"

# These are the touchscreens supported by kernel's "usbtouchscreen" module

# eGalax Inc. USB TouchController)
    KERNEL=="event*", SUBSYSTEM=="input", ATTRS{idVendor}=="3823", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0001", SYMLINK+="input/evtouch_event"
    KERNEL=="event*", SUBSYSTEM=="input", ATTRS{idVendor}=="3823", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0002", SYMLINK+="input/evtouch_event"
    KERNEL=="event*", SUBSYSTEM=="input", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0123", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0001", SYMLINK+="input/evtouch_event"
    KERNEL=="event*", SUBSYSTEM=="input", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0123", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0001", SYMLINK+="input/evtouch_event"
    KERNEL=="event*", SUBSYSTEM=="input", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0eef", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0001", SYMLINK+="input/evtouch_event"
    KERNEL=="event*", SUBSYSTEM=="input", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0eef", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0002", SYMLINK+="input/evtouch_event"
    KERNEL=="event*", SUBSYSTEM=="input", ATTRS{idVendor}=="1234", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0001", SYMLINK+="input/evtouch_event"
    KERNEL=="event*", SUBSYSTEM=="input", ATTRS{idVendor}=="1234", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0002", SYMLINK+="input/evtouch_event"
    # eTurboTouch
    KERNEL=="event*", SUBSYSTEM=="input", ATTRS{idVendor}=="1234", ATTRS{idProduct}=="5678", SYMLINK+="input/evtouch_event"
    # PanJit Touchset
    KERNEL=="event*", SUBSYSTEM=="input", ATTRS{idVendor}=="134C", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0001", SYMLINK+="input/evtouch_event"
    # PanJit Touchset
    KERNEL=="event*", SUBSYSTEM=="input", ATTRS{idVendor}=="134C", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0002", SYMLINK+="input/evtouch_event"
    # PanJit Touchset
    KERNEL=="event*", SUBSYSTEM=="input", ATTRS{idVendor}=="134C", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0003", SYMLINK+="input/evtouch_event"
    # PanJit Touchset
    KERNEL=="event*", SUBSYSTEM=="input", ATTRS{idVendor}=="134C", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0004", SYMLINK+="input/evtouch_event"
    # 3M Microtouch EX II
    KERNEL=="event*", SUBSYSTEM=="input", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0596", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0001", SYMLINK+="input/evtouch_event"
    # ITM Touchscreens
    KERNEL=="event*", SUBSYSTEM=="input", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0403", ATTRS{idProduct}=="F9E9", SYMLINK+="input/evtouch_event"
    # Gunze AHL61
    KERNEL=="event*", SUBSYSTEM=="input", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0637", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0001", SYMLINK+="input/evtouch_event"
    # DMC TSC-10/25
    KERNEL=="event*", SUBSYSTEM=="input", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0AFA", ATTRS{idProduct}=="03E8", SYMLINK+="input/evtouch_event"
    # Elo Touchscreen
    KERNEL=="event*", SUBSYSTEM=="input", ATTRS{idVendor}=="04e7", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0020", SYMLINK+="input/evtouch_event"
    #
    # Asus multitouch & buttons 
    KERNEL=="event*", SUBSYSTEM=="input", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0486", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0185", SYMLINK+="input/asus_touchscreen_event"
    # NOTE: the following never does register - proc/..devices report Vendor:Prod of 0000:0000!?
    KERNEL=="event*", SUBSYSTEM=="input", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0B05", ATTRS{idProduct}=="B703", SYMLINK+="input/asus_buttons_event"
    #
    # Lifebook B-Series
    KERNEL=="event*", SUBSYSTEM=="input", ATTRS{name}=="LBPS/2 Fujitsu Lifebook TouchScreen", SYMLINK+="input/evtouch_event"

Beans

I just got home and will try these post-haste. I followed James' blog, which is how I got the resolution issue resolved.

That said, I expect these installs to take several days. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

scott

Beans

Hmm, evtest fails with read: bad file descriptor, regardless of which event # I use.

cat /proc/bus/input/handlers seems to indicate # 3 is the touchscreen
    N: Number=3 Name=evdev Minor=64

does that mean my /etc/udev file should be 64-touchscreen? (Aside: I had to copy your 69-touchscreen... since there wasn't one in /etc/udev/rules.d

cat /proc/bus/input/devices seems to point to input 5:

N: Name="AsusTek, Inc. MultiTouch"
    H: Handlers=mouse1 event 5

whereas event 3 is "Macintosh mouse button emulation"

Off to shower a kid. Back for more later. Wireless is also disabled, but since I have a LAN connection I haven't tried too hard w/that yet.

EDIT #1: just re-read post #171. downloaded xorg.conf, 69-touchscreen.rules and edited it as per post #21 above. Installed xorg-server.dev and re-compiled binaries from #171 & installed.

EDIT #2: SUCCESS! Thanks kgingeri! Buried somewhere around p. 16 were he detailed instructions of how to use the tgz file from #171, and a few posts later you were thoughtful enough to post the output of your /proc/bus/input/devices file, which matched mine. A few tweaks to xorg.conf (probably putting them back where you originally had them) and I now have touchscreen capabilities!

Next step is wireless, buttons, & other stuff, but I'm way ahead of where I thought I'd be.
    Last edited by scottfranklin; March 5th, 2010 at 03:24 AM. Reason: SUCCESS!

Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast