Page 16 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus T91 linux installation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Asus T91 linux installation

Quote Originally Posted by pinkflamingo8806 View Post
    Anyone still having those random freezes? I get them in the middle of class when I'm taking notes using Xournal. I'm running UNR Karmic.
    I'm also running UNR Karmic. I don't get very many random freezes - mostly mine are predictable. The main issue seems to be after the machine is woken from sleep/hibernate it will crash as soon as you switch to the launcher (only if you've updated the graphics driver to give your 1024x600 resolution). I suspect the real problem is something to do with certain graphical functions because certain other actions will cause a crash after sleep. So far I've noticed that rotating the screen orientation, using opengl functions and switching something like mplayer to full screen seem to cause crashes if the t91 has previously been in sleep mode.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by jamespcole View Post
    For anyone wanting to get the Asus T91 working i have made step by step guides on my blog.

Fix Wireless Dropouts:
    http://setupguides.blogspot.com/2009...-for-asus.html

Fix Screen Resolution
    http://setupguides.blogspot.com/2009...-asus-eee.html

Touchscreen
    http://setupguides.blogspot.com/2009...uchscreen.html

Enabling Compiz
    http://setupguides.blogspot.com/2009...-asus-eee.html

Note: after enabling compiz some hd video is jerky, if you turn off compiz it works very smoothly, if anyone finds a solution to this please let me know. If i figure it out i'll make another blog post

Hope this helps, i'm really liking my new T91 and Karmic.

EDIT:The psb drivers will fail badly if you upgrade the kernel to 2.6.31-15-generic, stay with 2.6.31-14-generic. There is an issue with the psb drivers and the 2.6.31-15-generic kernel, i haven't found any or come up with any fixes yet so if you do please post it
    Thanks James, these are the first instructions that worked for me. I have a T91MT running Karmic 17, and could not install any psb stuff without it wanting to remove half the system!

I have noticed that I always have to use the Fn+F2 keys to kick-in wireless - after any reboot. The LED is always on solid, but the radio is off by default. I'm sure there's a line to put into rc.local to fix it but I really just need my screen and touch working first.

Off to test some more...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by kgingeri View Post
    Thanks James, these are the first instructions that worked for me. I have a T91MT running Karmic 17, and could not install any psb stuff without it wanting to remove half the system!

I have noticed that I always have to use the Fn+F2 keys to kick-in wireless - after any reboot. The LED is always on solid, but the radio is off by default. I'm sure there's a line to put into rc.local to fix it but I really just need my screen and touch working first.

Off to test some more...
    No problem, glad it helped. BTW i have tried all my instructions against the 2.6.31-16-generic kernel and everything works. Just did a fresh install followed by a kernel update before doing them. Also with the wireless LED, i am not experiencing that problem however after turning the wireless off and then on again it will not connect to my network. I don't have the MT version but i'd be interested to know how the Multi touch goes.
    Last edited by jamespcole; December 26th, 2009 at 04:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mizukusai View Post
    Thanks, but you offer nothing new. We already had these.
    And even more, actually.

Netbook-naucher freezes after hibernate/suspend. Do you have anything about that ?
    after upgrading to 2.6.31-16-generic suspend and hibernate are both working for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Ok, I'm not sure if a new thread should be started for the T91MT but I'm starting to realize there are differences.

The touch-screen is definitely different. It is reported to be AsusTek - not another supplier (could Asus really have built their own?) anyway, it also behaves like a 'resistive' touch rather then 'capacitive' - if I understand the differences. I can activate 'touch' with any object (doesn't have to be my finger) and it's pressure sensitive. I'm having a hard time find a spec that says what it is.

The T91MT also comes with Win7 Home which is a far cry from the Win7 Starter Edition! However, I still can't stand being in Windows long. I like to actually get things done with my computer not just click thru pretty menus and options

Multitouch support for the T91MT seems brand-new! I have gotten as far as having un-calibrated single-touch, and I'll post steps below.

I am running Karmic 2.6.32-17 - the latest as of this post - and I have no idea if this will work for anything else. Most of this comes from SamT91MT over in the Asus Support forum and I'm not sure you can get there without an account. Also the source below is from SamT91MT. I may attempt some mods to it to get calibration working, but I may get nowhere as well

(remember, I'm running Karmic 2.6.31-17, so your "mileage" [results] may vary

Nough background, now the goods... These are the steps. I will attach files needed. This is all using mods to source for the evtouch driver:

1. Install the video psb drivers via instructions here (Ubuntu Wiki) - although I had better luck with this blog post
    2. do "sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-evtouch"
    3. you may need kernel source? Not sure about this - I did install it via Synaptics Package Manager so I could do a "make clean; make" to rebuild from source
    4. download the source/binaries from the attachment below (there is no need to recompile, only if you want to 'play' with code)
    5. do "tar -xvzf xf86-input-evtouch-0.8.8.orig.eeeT91MT.tar.gz"
    6. do "cd xf86-input-evtouch-0.8.8.orig.eeeT91MT"
    7. NOTE: at this point you could do a "make clean; make" to rebuild binaries - I believe
    8. do "sudo cp /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/evtouch_drv.so /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/evtouch_drv.so.save"
    9. do "sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.save"
    10. do "sudo cp ./.libs/evtouch_drv.so /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/evtouch_drv.so" - NOTE: the .libs directory is hidden from an "ls" cmd - use "ls -a" to see it, or just "cd .libs" to look around.
    11. do "sudo cp ./xorg.conf /etc/X11/" (you didn't even have an xorg.conf until after you installed the psb video stuff)
    12. Shutdown and restart and you should have good screen resolution and some single touch activity.

EDIT: Yeah your reading right - 'xf86...' - not to fear, it's modified to work with Xorg.

EDIT/UPDATE:
    Calibration may not work BUT I found that if I used the following xorg.conf values I don't need it:

Option "MinX" "0"
    Option "MinY" "0"
    Option "MaxX" "3475"
    Option "MaxY" "3475"

I am getting freeze-ups tho - nothing but a held power button to power off works

EDIT/UPDATE (Mar 8th):
    I have a very stable T91MT with almost everything working - even sleep. I did get calibration to work but it seemed to mess up more then it fixed.
    • I now use an fdi file for touch instead of xorg.conf (see xorg.conf attached for other settings). It's put in (note path!) /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty - see the attached - the T91MT uses evtouch for Xorg GUI stuff
    • Also synaptics updates for 2 finger scrolling etc.
    • I have no multi-touch on the screen yet, BUT I haven't tried that much as it's no big deal for me.
    • I've icluded another copy of the xf86 tar file, it's the latest I've used. If you update to a new kernel, you'll need to run the following to re-establish touch - or is it the display... (you'll need to install poulsbo psb-kernel-headers and psb-kernel-source for display updates - info elsewhere here)
      Code:
      sudo dpkg-reconfigure psb-kernel-source
    • sudo update-grub
  6. Also a copy of /etc/udev/rules.d/69-touchscreen.rules - used to set up devices for X.
  7. Strip off the ".txt" - I added them to be able to upload here only
  8. start about post #215 for more info or try this blog or this blog - a work in progress at this point
  9. and one more - grub, the boot manager. My current mods to /etc/default/grub are in the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line:
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet nosplash mem=786mb pciehp.pciehp_force=1 pciehp.pciehp_poll_mode=1 elevator=noop acpi_backlight=vendor"
    ...(do 'sudo update-grub' after edits). These are for display mem reserved, display speed mods or sleep (can't remember), SSD saver and enabling backlight keys Fn+F3/F4.
Attached Files Attached Files
Last edited by kgingeri; March 9th, 2010 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Some (but not all) updates
Advanced reply Adv Reply  

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

After a bit of fiddling I was able to upgrade to kernel 2.6.31-16 without starting from a clean install. I updated with the update tool, then tried to repeat the steps described earlier in this thread for installing the poulsbo driver before rebooting. That failed, but after removing the package psb-kernel-source it worked.

I still get crashes after waking from sleep. Also, for future kernel updates to not cripple me so much before I can redo the graphics driver, does anyone know how to enable the grub menu? I kew how to do it in other linux distros but can't seem to with UNR.

Beans
    Distro

For those of you having trouble using your microphone in skype I have written up a quick blog post about getting it working.

http://setupguides.blogspot.com/2009...on-ubuntu.html

I had tried some other solutions first(upgraded alsa to 1.0.21) so without doing a fresh install I can't guarantee this will work for you(although I am pretty sure it will). If it doesn't work for you please let me know and i will revise my post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by DrPotoroo View Post
    After a bit of fiddling I was able to upgrade to kernel 2.6.31-16 without starting from a clean install. I updated with the update tool, then tried to repeat the steps described earlier in this thread for installing the poulsbo driver before rebooting. That failed, but after removing the package psb-kernel-source it worked.

I still get crashes after waking from sleep. Also, for future kernel updates to not cripple me so much before I can redo the graphics driver, does anyone know how to enable the grub menu? I kew how to do it in other linux distros but can't seem to with UNR.
    Hi DrPotoroo,

To change Grub, edit /etc/default/grub, with your favorite text editor to be what you want, then run 'update-grub'. It will find all kernels you have active and rewrite /boot/grub/grub.cfg which is now the grub param file used at boot time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by jamespcole View Post
    For those of you having trouble using your microphone in skype I have written up a quick blog post about getting it working.

http://setupguides.blogspot.com/2009...on-ubuntu.html

I had tried some other solutions first(upgraded alsa to 1.0.21) so without doing a fresh install I can't guarantee this will work for you(although I am pretty sure it will). If it doesn't work for you please let me know and i will revise my post.
    Hi James, I had no luck with that (I posted on your blog also). I found that pavucontrol was not installed (UNR 2.6.31-17) but it didn't offer me anthing different then right-clicking the volume applet icon and going to preferences. It also seems my output volume is now very faint - no matter what the settings. Not sure if I need another reboot or what. :/

Beans
    Distro

Hi kgingeri,
    just out of interest what is the output of this command for you?

cat /proc/asound/version

i get

Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.21.
    Compiled on Dec 2 2009 for kernel 2.6.31-16-generic (SMP).

so it may be that you need to upgrade alsa, this will install the latest alsa

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ricotz/unstable

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

thanks to http://www.webupd8.org/2009/11/ubunt...1021-from.html
    for the alsa instructions.

Sorry it wasn't working for you, as i said earlier i had been messing with the sound settings etc for a while before i got it working, thanks for the feedback, i'm considering doing another fresh install to figure out the exact steps i took. Let me know if the alsa upgrade makes any difference.

• Page 16 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast