Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738

Thread: Asus T91 linux installation

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Asus T91 linux installation

EDIT:Since this didn't work too well until I installed to SSD and now it works great, I'll leave it at this for now: I've got everything working in 10.04. If anyone's interested in the full walkthrough, let me know.
    Last edited by HarrisonNapper; September 3rd, 2011 at 03:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

For those not going through the tutorial above:

Quote Originally Posted by HarrisonNapper View Post
    6g. FREEZE THE KERNEL AND GRUB. I assume this entails marking the packages to be held back and not upgraded. I'll quote myself here while simultaneously laughing at the fourth wall in another post so I'm not making people read this whole tutorial for feedback. Will include that info in an edit. In the meantime, I just disabled any prompts to update anything on mine.
    Other todo if anyone knows the answer:
    1. How to replace lxdm with xdm successfully in Lubuntu (this will be easy for me to figure out, just figured others might know)
    Last edited by HarrisonNapper; September 3rd, 2011 at 03:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Same elf magic error as before; can't get to recovery mode. Grub console says out of memory no matter what I type. It was working fine. I booted it up, rebooted (making literally 0 changes), and got the error. If I type boot it says no kernel loaded. No memory for everything else. I think this has to do with a few things:

1. I mixed up Maverick and Lucid and went around installing the wrong EMGD drivers a few times. Frustration doesn't do nice things to my brain.

2. I don't think running an OS on an SD formatted ext4 is wise. This probably also contributed.

When I had to choose between having either Windows or Linux on the SSD, the choice was fairly obvious. The T91 doesn't have enough power to run Windows well even with the upgrade to 2GB RAM. I have Lubuntu 10.04 installed to the SSD and the speed is head and shoulders above Windows, even if I have to sacrifice some precision on the touchscreen.

EDIT: Touchscreen works fine now as does everything else
    Last edited by HarrisonNapper; September 3rd, 2011 at 03:16 PM.

Beans

Smile Re: Asus T91 linux installation

Hi, I am still new to Linux world (UBUNTU)
    I have Asus T91 notebook and I've managed to install Karmic Koala on it and everything is working perfectly (VGA, Sound, TouchScreen, ...), but then I was wondering if there is another version of ubuntu that can give me the same result of Karmic.
    in other words, my question is :
    - I am looking for Ubuntu 10.04.3 or Ubuntu 10.10, and I am wondering if GMA 500 will work the same as on Karmic (even though that on Karmic it is still slow when I try to play some 3D games,but Youtube is watchable in windowed size but not full screen size) and what about TouchScreen calibration, any tweaks I have to learn for installation ?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ahmadjnedy View Post
    Hi, I am still new to Linux world (UBUNTU)
    I have Asus T91 notebook and I've managed to install Karmic Koala on it and everything is working perfectly (VGA, Sound, TouchScreen, ...), but then I was wondering if there is another version of ubuntu that can give me the same result of Karmic.
    in other words, my question is :
    - I am looking for Ubuntu 10.04.3 or Ubuntu 10.10, and I am wondering if GMA 500 will work the same as on Karmic (even though that on Karmic it is still slow when I try to play some 3D games,but Youtube is watchable in windowed size but not full screen size) and what about TouchScreen calibration, any tweaks I have to learn for installation ?
    On the off-chance you are still looking for this, the GMA500 chipset is one where different versions of Ubu can work very differently. I have had everything set up in 10.04 for awhile, but it took about two weeks to get it all set up. If everything's working for you (for the most part), I would leave it be.

On the video, can you zoom in on the page using Ctrl + or does that make it choppy, too? Note that phones are starting to have more in the way of hardware than the T91, so there's a lot of stuff that will never work quite as well as other computers.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I've upgrade the RAM on mine to 2GB, so that may be helping, but I also have youtube set to run videos on 240p and I do notice when I up the quality; even if I have the cpu frequency set to the full 1.33GHz, it starts to lag/skip. Probably just the hardware not being able to keep up; not much to do there.

Beans

Seems like this (Russian) guy's had some luck with 12.04:
    http://snowdimon.blogspot.com/2012/0...l-gma-500.html

Perhaps the GMA 500 support's better in the newer kernels? This list of Poulsbo (spit) drivers available for Linux (Arch) suggests there's now at least a bit more choice:
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Poulsbo

EDIT: "Welcome to the new support thread for the GMA500 (Poulsbo) graphics card. This card should now be working out of the box with the gma500_gfx driver and minimal user intervention:"
    According to this thread...

EDIT #2: Display is messed up on boot into Xubuntu 12.04, but dropping into terminal and "sudo service lightdm restart" gets it working, as documented here.

Still some problems (suspend, brightness keys, haven't tested video) but wifi works fine, so I think I'll give the other steps in the wiki (& on our comrade's blog) a go.

Perhaps a usable Linux T91 is within my grasp. Or perhaps not. But worth a try before flinging it out of the window screaming "A curse on all your Poulsbos!". (Not that I'm traumatised. )
    Last edited by onebir; June 26th, 2012 at 09:54 PM.

Beans

38 pages is enough - starting new thread here.

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738