Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus T91 linux installation

Beans

Re: Asus T91 linux installation

I have the T91SA and touchscreen worked out of the box on 10.04. The only problem I'm having with it is getting the screen rotation to work with the button. I've tried multiple solutions I've found by googling and the ones listed here to no avail. My button still does nothing. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by buee View Post
    I have the T91SA and touchscreen worked out of the box on 10.04. The only problem I'm having with it is getting the screen rotation to work with the button. I've tried multiple solutions I've found by googling and the ones listed here to no avail. My button still does nothing. Any ideas?
    Try seeing if 'xrandr -o left' works.

Also have a look at editing the /etc/acpi/rotatescreen.sh script
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1507489

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by H3g3m0n View Post
    Try seeing if 'xrandr -o left' works.

Also have a look at editing the /etc/acpi/rotatescreen.sh script
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1507489
    xrandr -o left doesn't do anything. I get the following error:

Code:
    X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
      Major opcode of failed request:  149 (RANDR)
      Minor opcode of failed request:  2 (RRSetScreenConfig)
      Serial number of failed request:  14
      Current serial number in output stream:  14
    I went to that forum post you suggested and the screen still won't rotate. Either by command or the button. Any other ideas?

Beans
    Distro

xrandr -o left doesn't do anything. I get the following error:

Code:
    X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
      Major opcode of failed request:  149 (RANDR)
      Minor opcode of failed request:  2 (RRSetScreenConfig)
      Serial number of failed request:  14
      Current serial number in output stream:  14
    I went to that forum post you suggested and the screen still won't rotate. Either by command or the button. Any other ideas?
    If it's not working from the command, nothing will get the button to work.

Sounds like the GMA500 drivers haven't been installed correctly, or maybe installed out-of-date drivers via an old method?
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...eoCardsPoulsbo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by H3g3m0n View Post
    If it's not working from the command, nothing will get the button to work.

Sounds like the GMA500 drivers haven't been installed correctly, or maybe installed out-of-date drivers via an old method?
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...eoCardsPoulsbo
    I was actually reloading Ubuntu when you sent this message. But I had been to that link and installing the drivers apparently didn't work. For some reason it did work this time, I could definitely tell the difference in video quality before screwing with the rotation of the screen. Any way to get it to do 90, 180, 270 degrees?

Beans
    Distro

I was actually reloading Ubuntu when you sent this message. But I had been to that link and installing the drivers apparently didn't work. For some reason it did work this time, I could definitely tell the difference in video quality before screwing with the rotation of the screen. Any way to get it to do 90, 180, 270 degrees?
    If the drivers are now working, screen rotation should work fine with:
    Code:
    xrandr -o left
    xrandr -o right
    xrandr -o inverted
    xrandr -o normal
    At least it does on mt T91MT.

If you want quick access to the rotations, there is a gnome applet you could try that allow you to select the rotation from a drop down menu.
    System->Preferences->Monitor, "Show monitors in panel"

If your wanting it to work with the extra rotations via the rotate screen button, your going to have to modify the script to add the extra rotations. I don't think it would be worth bothering as it takes a few seconds for each rotation so the complete cycle could be 10+seconds, it's much easier to just toggle between normal and either left or right (I chose left since it puts the stylus up the top right). There is no on screen app like the official ASUS one that I know of (although it wouldn't be to hard to code one up).

There's not really any point to rotating it in other directions though, its easier to just turn the system upsidedown...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dfauvarq View Post
    Found the solution for the touchscreen and rotation with the help of some other forums.

First on my T91 no MT, desinstall the IDC touch driver under /usr/local/IDC, the default one works better.

Then calibrate the touchscreen, personally I had to calibrate it manually using the xinput command, the xinput_calibrator_x11 didn't provide good results for me.
    Here is the command that works for my screen:
    xinput set-int-prop "IDEACOM IDC 6680" "Evdev Axis Calibration" 32 300 7900 400 7800

to have this command executed at each start of an X session I created a script under
    /etc/X11/Xsession.d/98x11-common_touchscreen
    with only that command

Literally just registered to say: dfauvarq, you're an absolute legend. I figured out ages ago that the Ideacom drivers were causing random freezes, and since then I've spent goodness knows how many hours trying to find a way to calibrate the default ones.

As I said. Absolute. Legend.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by pinkflamingo8806 View Post
    I tried using the default driver and manually calibrating the screen and came across an interesting problem. When I tap the screen in one location and pick up the pen and tap another spot on the screen, it doesn't 'lift' the pen tip. In other words, it draws a line between the two points. Is there something in xinput that I need to set?

Thanks
    I have exactly the same issue in 10.10, has anyone found a solution to this yet?

BTW: if anyone is using Docky on 10.10 with the gma500 drivers I have posted a solution to the compositing error.

http://setupguides.blogspot.com/2010...untu-1010.html
    Last edited by jamespcole; October 14th, 2010 at 03:45 AM.

Beans

For 10.10 with a T91MT, try here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1595220

It includes instructions for the rotation button but there have been unsolved problems across the board. For me, its not that my wireless gets disabled but it simply doesn't work haha

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pinkflamingo8806 View Post
    I tried using the default driver and manually calibrating the screen and came across an interesting problem. When I tap the screen in one location and pick up the pen and tap another spot on the screen, it doesn't 'lift' the pen tip. In other words, it draws a line between the two points. Is there something in xinput that I need to set?
    This is this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/573006

Please confirm it and add your hardware details.

Seems to be a driver bug, the driver is reporting wrong positions. I might be able to fix it if somebody could tell me which driver/package/source code is actually used.

Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast