Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus T91 linux installation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Asus T91 linux installation

I wanted to make a shell script, that rotates through the display orientations when you press the key longer (just like in windows).

I got pretty far, then noticed that you can't change ubuntu's OSD-Notification to switch faster. There's no point if it takes 5 seconds to update the notification... does anybody know another type of OSD?

Beans

My idea is two scripts :
    one launched on long press : make a rotation every second
    one lauched on release : kills the previous one

Compiz is really really slow when the screen is rotated. Is it the same with yours ?
    Maybe we can restart compiz after the rotation.

Beans
    Distro

I'm not using compiz, I'm sticking to the UNR interface, it's just more comfortable for what I use the machine for. I have a bigger laptop for Desktop work.

But I read the xrandr program has some problems with compiz, for me it takes 2-3 seconds, I assume compiz restarts itself and takes longer.

The idea I had is similar to yours, only 3 scripts

script 1: activates on 7b (short press) and writes the current display state to a global variable

script 2: activates on 7c (long press, fires approx. ever second over the button) and rotates through the different orientations. On each change the current selection is shown via OSD (left|inverted|right|normal) together with an arrow icon. The arrow icons are set up according to the active display orientation taken from the variable in script 1 (to make sure they still point in the correct direction)

script 3: activates on 7d (key release) and sets the display to the last orientation from script 2

I already had the OSD working with the icon, but then noticed that the notifications stick there 5 seconds blocking the newer ones from being shown. So in the end you wouldn't know what orientation you're changing to

Beans

OSD ?
    Can you give more info on this function ? Are you talking about gnome's notification ?

Beans
    Distro

yes, that is gnome's notification system, I'm not sure but it seems to have taken over all other OSD systems.

you'll need to install libnotify-bin to be able to make your own OSD notifications. you can then send them with

notify-send "message"

You can even send them to other users on the system, but you can't reduce the time (not even with the -t parameter)... if there would only be some way to replace the message we could do it. Maybe there is some way, after all the volume adjustment allows immediate updates.

Beans

It's that easy ?!
    This gives me a lot of ideas... (Notification on my XBMC-box, for example)

Beans
    Distro

some inspiration for you

Code:
    notify-send -i "/usr/share/icons/Human/48x48/actions/back.png", "Screen Orientation" "Left"

if it doesn't do it, you've forgotten
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libnotify-bin

Beans

Great to hear the buttons are working! I read in an earlier post that the functionality of the VGA out had yet to be determined; have either of you plugged an external monitor in and found that it didn't work, or have you just not gotten to it yet (there's a lot more on your plate, I know). Conferences are one of the major uses I'd have for the T91 (reading and annotating .pdf papers would be the other), so VGA out is kind of important.

As for the camera, I don't know if this helps, but I have a Panasonic CF-R4 that the usb camera works w/Skype but not w/Gizmo. (Haven't tried it w/Cheese yet). I wonder what Skype is doing differently?

scott

Beans

There was a kernel update yesterday from Ubuntu.
    I can't boot with it and I had to rebuilld the psb module. (dpkg-recongure psb-kernel-source) on the old kernel.

And the wireless does not work at all any more, even when booting with the old kernel (2.6.58-14-generic)
    I'm trying a
    Code:
    dpkg-reconfigure linux-backports-modules-jaunty
    I hope the "uninstall the new kernel" solution will work, but it will prevent me from receiving later updates.

I'd prefer to make it work with the new kernel.
    Last edited by Mizukusai; September 2nd, 2009 at 11:41 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Just tried the VGA out on an external screen using 1920x1080 resolution (BenQ G2411HD).

It worked in full resolution, but I had to restart the X server (ctrl+alt+backspace) to get it up. Then the big resolution also affected the small screen making it show only a small portion of the screen, rather useless. I'm sure with a little configuring you should be able to get it working in any way you want it (both screens small -> clone, laptop small external big etc. ->extend) etc.

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast