Page 26 of 38 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus T91 linux installation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Re: Asus T91 linux installation

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Shuvalov View Post
    Hi,
    I want to use "rotate button" to make right-click of mouse. I read how you catch ACPI events of pressing/releasing this button, but how to write the script that turns on left-handed mouse orientation? can you help me?

By the way, there are 2 events on transformation netbook to tablet mode and backwards transformation (this events are used on M$ Windows for decreasing processor's frequency to 800 MHz - maybe because of problems with cooling).
    Code:
    > acpi_listen
    hotkey ATKD 0000007e 00000002 /* transform to tablet */
    hotkey ATKD 0000007f 00000002 /* transform to normal notebook */
    I recommend attach whis events to 180-degree screen rotation - when you transform netbook to tablet you ALWAYS need to rotate the screen and this rotation can be easily automated by this events.
    Roman, this is what I use to rotate the screen...
    Code:
    $ more /etc/acpi/events/asus-rotate-t91 

event=hotkey (ATKD|HOTK) 0000007b
    action=/etc/acpi/rotatescreen.sh

$ more /etc/acpi/rotatescreen.sh

#!/bin/sh
    #
    # This script rotates the display in TabletPCs when screen is changed from
    # laptop to tablet mode, or when rotation button is pressed

test -f /usr/share/acpi-support/key-constants || exit 0

. /usr/share/acpi-support/power-funcs

if [ -f /var/lib/acpi-support/screen-rotation ] ; then
      ROTATION=`cat /var/lib/acpi-support/screen-rotation`
    fi

case "$ROTATION" in
    	right)
    	NEW_ROTATION="normal"
    	;;
    	*)
    	NEW_ROTATION="right"
    	;;
    esac

for x in /tmp/.X11-unix/*; do
    	displaynum=`echo $x | sed s#/tmp/.X11-unix/X##`
    	getXconsole;
    	if [ x"$XAUTHORITY" != x"" ]; then
    	    export DISPLAY=":$displaynum"           
    	    /usr/bin/xrandr -o $NEW_ROTATION && echo $NEW_ROTATION > /var/lib/acpi-support/screen-rotation
    	fi
    done
    You could hack the /etc/scpi/rotatescreen.sh line to another script and then use the acpi_fakekey command to possibly do the right-click. I'd check other scripts in /etc/acpi for examples, man pages etc.
    Hope that helps!

EDIT: a great tool to find acpi key values is 'acpi_listen'
    Last edited by kgingeri; March 10th, 2010 at 01:24 AM. Reason: corrections

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dargaud View Post
    . I tried one of the 'gesture' software recommended in this thread but I felt like a chicken playing with a knife: I had no clue how to configure and use it.
    You may talk about easystroke.
    The basic function is to trigger an action (keystroke, launch command, ...) when you draw a given pattern on the screen.
    Let me give you an example.
    I'm not using UNR. I have several desktops (gnome-shell or compiz).
    I have configured easystroke to strike (CTRL+ALT+LEFT) when i draw a small line from right to left. This way, the cube rotates to the left when i move my finger from right to left.

You have to set the way easystrike is triggered. In the second tab, choose button1 as the gesture button. Keep the default time-out profile for now. Change it later if you feel like.
    In the "action" tab, clic "Add action'. Name it. Chosse the type (Command, key, text, ...). set the Details (according to the type). Then "record gesture" => Draw the gesture.

You can also add exclusion. Apps you don't want to trigger easystroke (Like gimp, for example)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

I personally LOVE EasyStroke - it is WORTH the learing and VERY USEFUL - IMHO.
    I actually have definition files that allow me to write characters anywhere on the screen and they are excepted into the focused window (unless there is an exception app defined).

If anyone wants the definition files, I've included them below.
    1. download and extract files from the attached tar file easystrokefiles.tar
    2. install and run EasyStroke to initialize things
    3. quit EasyStroke and put the un-tar'd files into your <home folder>/.easystroke (.easystroke is not visible unless you unhide hidden files in the Nautilus file browser [Ctrl]+[H])
    4. re-run EasyStroke and click the applet icon (small blue/green pretzel-like icon on the panel) and you will get the list of strokes defined

To read how a strokes work, look at the stroke and follow it form dark-blue to light-green - that's how you draw it. The stylus works best. Enjoy!

Hope I'm not repeating myself, I may have already posted this stuff elsewhere
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kgingeri View Post
    You could hack the /etc/scpi/rotatescreen.sh line to another script and then use the acpi_fakekey command to possibly do the right-click. I'd check other scripts in /etc/acpi for examples, man pages etc.
    Hope that helps!

EDIT: a great tool to find acpi key values is 'acpi_listen'
    Thank you, of course I use acpi_listen to search key values.

about right-click: I don't want to make "fake key" (right-click), i want to temporary replace left-click and right-click to make right-click when I'm holding rotate button:
    - press rotate button // script must turn on "left-handed mouse mode"
    - touch the screen (it must be worked as right-click)
    - release rotate button // script must turn off "left-handed mouse mode"

Any ideas how to manage left/right-handed mouse mode inside the script?

P.S. About random freezes: In BIOS I disabled on-board camera and disabled "CPU freq is controlled by operating system" option. No freezes since this change, but I didn't worked on T91 too much.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Thank you, ...

Any ideas how to manage left/right-handed mouse mode inside the script?
    No, sorry Roman - I don't know of a way to monitor the state of a button.

Beans

I've just found bug with graphics...

When system starts, all is ok. But after sleeping to suspend and waking up - I see that screen color depth is 16-bit!! Look at the display carefully. Have you got this problem? How to fix?

P.S. and one more serious thing: sometimes (probably after stopping X server by logging out) I see that strings in Ctrl+Alt+F[1..6] terminal (they appear directly in cursor randomly):
    Code:
    [<timestamp>] hda-intel: spurious response 0x0:0x0, last cmd=0x270600
    [<timestamp>] hda-intel: spurious response 0x0:0x0, last  cmd=0x870600
    [<timestamp>] hda-intel: spurious response 0x0:0x0, last  cmd=0x870600
    [<timestamp>] hda-intel: spurious response 0x0:0x0, last  cmd=0x170503
    I have no idea that is this... big count of this strings appear on <tab> and one on <arrow down>.
    Last edited by Roman Shuvalov; March 11th, 2010 at 10:50 PM.

Beans

I've just found bug with graphics...

When system starts, all is ok. But after sleeping to suspend and waking up - I see that screen color depth is 16-bit!! Look at the display carefully. Have you got this problem? How to fix?
    I don't have my machine in front of me, but I bet I do have this problem. I"ve noticed that the color of the icons in the status bar are not quite right. I'm not sure how to fix it, but it's a good direction to search in.

EDIT: xwinfo returns a color depth of 24bit, although I do see some weird color issues in icons. Not sure what the issue is.

scott
    Last edited by scottfranklin; March 12th, 2010 at 04:13 AM. Reason: actually checked my machine...

Beans

Random freezes continue happen... who have NO random freezes? what's your kernel version, poulsbo driver version?

I found here (at ubuntuforums.org) instructions about installing poulsbo driver for getting good 3D acceleration on GMA 500. I think I should install here, maybe it will help to deal with some problems...

Beans

Roman, I'm also having random freezes. Please keep me posted on whether your re-installing poulsbo helps.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi Everyone, I've been following this thread for about a week.. I did have a severe issue with random freezes when I used the touch screen, though it has subsided since I followed kgingeri's suggestion for grub in post #222...

[EDIT] I spoke too soon, just locked up.. it's been a while

I have a different issue though, after clicking on a text input box(like the Quick search box in synaptic.. all of my click events are stuck on that control. I am unable to select anything else with the touchpad or the touchscreen. Even if I tab away focus to another control, as soon as I click anywhere, it selects the input box again. If I exit the program, the touchpad and touchscreen return to normal. If I run a program like "onboard" for typing into one of these input boxes, I lose the ability to change focus to any programs and I can't even exit a program with "ALT F4", becuase no program is in focus.. Though I can trigger the shutdown screen.

Anyone have any ideas on what is causing this?

Thanks
    -J
    Last edited by jtjs; March 13th, 2010 at 04:20 PM. Reason: correction

Page 26 of 38 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast