Page 24 of 38 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus T91 linux installation

Beans

Re: Asus T91 linux installation

Quote Originally Posted by kgingeri View Post
    DO NOTE that you'll need the virtual desktop settings in xorg.conf - it's at home and I'm at work right now - I think it is "virtual 2048 2048" in the server section - not sure.
    Do you have both settings in a single xorg.conf file or do you have a xorg.conf.external that you swap when needed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

3 questions. I just finished switching my desktops from Windows to Ubuntu. Now I want to switch to Ubuntu on my tabletPC (T91MT).

1. Which version should I install 10.04 Alpha 3, or 9.10?
    2. Is Ubuntu stable on the T91MT?
    3. Will I be able to use my SonyEricsson Mobilephone as a modem (like I now do in windows), using tethering over bluetooth?

TIA!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by tHe-BiNk View Post
    3. Will I be able to use my SonyEricsson Mobilephone as a modem (like I now do in windows), using tethering over bluetooth?

TIA!
    I tether my ultra-cheap Samsung to work as a modem via bluetooth. You need to install blueman to do it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tHe-BiNk View Post
    1. Which version should I install 10.04 Alpha 3, or 9.10?
    2. Is Ubuntu stable on the T91MT?
    I went w/9.10 and seem to be able to follow in the path of others on this forum w/o too much difficulty.

Moderately. There are issues w/suspend, which I think are due to wireless. Suspend works most of the time when I remember to manually shut down the wireless first w/Fn-F2.

It's still hanging a bit too often for my tastes, but I'm only 2 days into tweaking the config files. It's mostly X that's hanging, though, not the OS itself. REISUB reboot does always get it to reboot nicely.

scott

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by scottfranklin View Post
    Do you have both settings in a single xorg.conf file or do you have a xorg.conf.external that you swap when needed?
    Sorry Scott - forgot to post it! Here it is. All one file - no swapping needed, just apply when you use the Config Display Settings applet (I have it in the panel).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by scottfranklin View Post

It's still hanging a bit too often for my tastes, but I'm only 2 days into tweaking the config files. It's mostly X that's hanging, though, not the OS itself. REISUB reboot does always get it to reboot nicely.

scott
    Scott, pay special attention to the DRI and - try it either on or off. Also the IgnoreACPI settings. Both in xorg.conf. That should help with freezing.

The other thing I have seen is my disk busy like nuts and usually do to a Flash heavy web site.

Other than the Flash thing, I never hang any more

EDIT: one other thing is the /etc/default/grub setting for "pciehp.pciehp_force=1 pciehp.pciehp_poll_mode=1" - I seem to recall this was for wireless but not sure it didn't stop my hanging as well. Oh, that's a param added to the "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=" line.
    Last edited by kgingeri; March 6th, 2010 at 08:47 PM. Reason: one more thing..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

BTW Scott, turning off wireless for sleeps seems to work for me too. I'm quite sure there is an ACPI file for sleep and we could likely disable (and maybe re-enable on wake)!? Thanks for that tip! I'll look into the ACPI file stuff and post if I find a solution.
    Last edited by kgingeri; March 6th, 2010 at 09:31 PM. Reason: wrong post for comment

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Ok, there is a bunch of scripts in /etc/acpi for various things. However disabling wireless (or at least toggling state) did seem to make any difference. It seems this is a fairly complex area. You can use "acpi_listen" to see key ID's and values but Gnome handles some stuff, X handles some and ACPI handles some - if I understand right.

I did find an excellent page on this stuff tho in the Ubuntu Wiki (gotta remember this more often, and maybe contribute! ) - see

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Hotkeys/Troubleshooting

Gotta get back to other work right now, but I think we'll get this stuff soon

EDIT: in my quick playing around, I discovered that my dim key seq does return values (via acpi_listen) and that coming out of sleep mode, "wireless networking" is 'disabled' (see via right-click on the wireless applet) - so it's not that wireless needs to be turned on, just re-enabled.
    Last edited by kgingeri; March 6th, 2010 at 09:33 PM. Reason: just a bit more info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Okay, thanks everybody for the information. I will go ahead with installing Ubuntu 9.10.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kgingeri View Post
    BTW Scott, turning off wireless for sleeps seems to work for me too. I'm quite sure there is an ACPI file for sleep and we could likely disable (and maybe re-enable on wake)!? Thanks for that tip! I'll look into the ACPI file stuff and post if I find a solution.
    That was along the lines of what I was thinking. Put "disable wireless" in the suspend script.

I've noticed, though, that when I wake from suspend I can't get back to the launcher. I can use any applications that I had open before suspend, but either netbook-launcher or gdm itself is hung. Worse, if I try to log out or restart gdm the screen goes blank & hangs and I have to REISUB.

I'm not sure if this is an xorg issue (I'll try the suggestions you made) or a netbook-launcher problem. I wonder if there's an easy way to go classic gnome just once to see if it works. I'll investigate and let you know.

scott

p.s. the xorg.conf you posted for external monitor didn't have anything related to the touch screen. How do you simultaneously run touchscreen & external monitor (or don't you)?

Page 24 of 38 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast